autogun

Military Guns and Ammunition

Hosted by autogun

This is intended for people interested in the subject of military guns and their ammunition, with emphasis on automatic weapons, particularly in larger calibres (12.7+mm).

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Exploring The Design Space   Ammunition <20mm

Started 25/7/15 by NathanielF; 99551 views.
tidusyuki

13-Sep

I really have no why they decided to go with 416. They could've decided to get the closest one to their ol' famas in terms of ergo and controls which is the VHS-2. Not to mention it's battleproven as it's been used in Afghanistan by croatian army. And don't get me started with bullpup vs conventional arguments because every rifle designs have their own pros and cons. Just like the endless argument about which is better between AR and AK. It's all about the operator and the training method.

Also i still have no information regarding why the Manufacture d'Armes de Saint-Étienne plant which made the FAMAS closed down? it's a shame they could've just made their own decent designs for example by changing the FAMAS into a gas operated instead of delayed blowback. I know it's possible.

Mr. T (MrT4)

13-Sep

VHS is designed for 2m tall soldiers 

tidusyuki

13-Sep

In extruded receiver designs, does the bolt carrier rides directly on the receiver wall or does it need some sort of additional steel railing in the interior for the bolt carrier to rides on?

Usually in an extruded receiver like the SCAR, ACR and BT APC you see some sets of screws.

Yet i don't see any on both the BREN and the 433.

Also how did the barrel mated in the 433? is there any sort of barrel block/trunnion molded directly inside the upper just like the old G36?
Looking at the receiver i don't see any sort of screws outside where the barrel extension is supposed to be like APC, SCAR and BREN

It is supposed to be a quick change barrel so i'm assuming the design is quite similar to the MCX. In the MCX to detach the barrel you just need to loosen a pair of screws that tighten the barrel in place.

• Edited 13 September 2020 10:38  by  tidusyuki
tidusyuki

13-Sep

lol but it has a retractable stock. Still it all depends on the rifle LOP and so far there's no info on what's the measurement of its shortest LOP which is when the stock is fully collapsed.

QuintusO

13-Sep

tidusyuki said:

In extruded receiver designs, does the bolt carrier rides directly on the receiver wall or does it need some sort of additional steel railing in the interior for the bolt carrier to rides on?

It depends. The ACR does have fastened on steel guide rails, but the HK433, CZ Bren 2, and BT APC series do not (I'm not super familiar with the APC series but it looks like what's bolted on the left inside of the receiver is an ejector, not a guide rail. You can see that on the APC9 here:)

I assume that design is a bit different on the APC556/223, but you can see the extruded guide rail right above it.

The SCAR uses the same design, you can see that in the raw extrusions here:

Archangel and Bearcat also use this arrangement.

• Edited 13 September 2020 13:34  by  QuintusO
QuintusO

13-Sep

tidusyuki said:

Also how did the barrel mated in the 433? is there any sort of barrel block/trunnion molded directly inside the upper just like the old G36? Looking at the receiver i don't see any sort of screws outside where the barrel extension is supposed to be like APC, SCAR and BREN It is supposed to be a quick change barrel so i'm assuming the design is quite similar to the MCX. In the MCX to detach the barrel you just need to loosen a pair of screws that tighten the barrel in place.

HK433 patents:

https://worldwide.espacenet.com/publicationDetails/originalDocument?CC=US&NR=2018259275A1&KC=A1&FT=D&ND=3&date=20180913&DB=&locale=en_EP#

https://worldwide.espacenet.com/publicationDetails/originalDocument?CC=US&NR=2018259276A1&KC=A1&FT=D&ND=3&date=20180913&DB=&locale=en_EP#

https://worldwide.espacenet.com/publicationDetails/originalDocument?CC=US&NR=2018259278A1&KC=A1&FT=D&ND=3&date=20180913&DB=&locale=en_EP

roguetechie

13-Sep

Yes, a 4moa gun that can never be better than that is the closest thing to the best we have...

autogun

13-Sep

tidusyuki said:

I really have no why they decided to go with 416.

Emeric can answer that... see: http://forums.delphiforums.com/autogun/messages/6744/1

• Edited 13 September 2020 14:38  by  autogun
Red7272

13-Sep

roguetechie said:

Yes, a 4moa gun that can never be better than that is the closest thing to the best we have...

Given what most assault rifles are used for that isn't too bad. I'm not really a fan of the bullpup either because of the LOP, but as the basis of a good rifle it's an excellent place to start.

QuintusO

13-Sep

It has some interesting detail features (the cam system I ripped off for all of my rotary bolt rifles, very good idea), but overall I disagree. It's not a space efficient design.