autogun

Military Guns and Ammunition

Hosted by autogun

This is intended for people interested in the subject of military guns and their ammunition, with emphasis on automatic weapons, particularly in larger calibres (12.7+mm).

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Exploring The Design Space   Ammunition <20mm

Started 25/7/15 by NathanielF; 91995 views.
QuintusO

16-May

In the layout and study phase of designing Slayer's belt box. Even at this early stage, it's obvious that there are a lot of mechanical pitfalls to be overcome. In particular, making sure that the belt box alone can properly index a round and its link looks like it will be very challenging.

QuintusO

16-May

Yeah this endeavor is not making me feel like a quick change box belt fed is highly practical.

QuintusO

21-May

We are often told that we must "listen to soldiers" when talking about small arms ammunition. This inevitably means, we must discount 5.56mm as an effective round, because there are complaints from some some soldiers about the round.

But, oddly, we don't see much complaining from better trained units, like the USMC and the 82nd Airborne. Hm.

EmericD

22-May

QuintusO said...

But, oddly, we don't see much complaining from better trained units, like the USMC and the 82nd Airborne. Hm.

Yes, we need to listen to warfighters :

M855 BALL – GOOD KNOCK DOWN POWER – ARMOR PENETRATING CAPABILITY • VEHICLES • WINDOWS • THIN DOORS – ISSUES IN HEAVY VEGETATION AND PALM GROVES – 77 GRAIN BLACK HILLS HOLLOW TIP MATCH GRADE AMMO • BIGGER WOUND CHANNEL

M240B : KNOCK DOWN POWER / LETHALITY / RATE OF FIRE WEAPON IS UNSURPASED

M2HB : MOST INTIMIDATING WEAPON ON THE BATTLEFIELD

QuintusO

22-May

Sounds like they like 5.56 just fine, your bias aside.

They also praise the lethality of the M249, which I don't agree with but there you go.

DavidPawley

23-May

QuintusO said...

We are often told that we must "listen to soldiers" when talking about small arms ammunition. This inevitably means, we must discount 5.56mm as an effective round, because there are complaints from some some soldiers about the round.

How curious...

“Know weapons/ammo capability and plan accordingly” seems too sensible.

EmericD

23-May

QuintusO said...

Sounds like they like 5.56 just fine, your bias aside.

Ok, so it's not "we should listen to what the soldiers are saying", but "we need to extract some parts of what they are saying and forget about the bigger picture because it's just meaningless rants I don't care about..."

QuintusO

23-May

Are you asking for my opinion, or trying to dodge and weave around the counterargument against "believe all soldiers" supporting larger calibers?

EmericD

23-May

?

I was just pointing out that this document was 25 slides long, not 17 (or 18).

I will refrain to ask about your opinion on a presentation that states : "good knock down power" for the 5.56 mm ball, "excellent suppression / knock down power / lethality " for the 5.56 mm SAW, "unsurpassed knock down power / lethality" for the 7.62 mm M240 and rates the M2HB as the "most intimidating weapons on the battlefield"...