autogun

Military Guns and Ammunition

Hosted by autogun

This is intended for people interested in the subject of military guns and their ammunition, with emphasis on automatic weapons, particularly in larger calibres (12.7+mm).

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

USN 1.1 inch AA   Naval Guns

Started 25/4/18 by autogun; 1089 views.
In reply toRe: msg 1
autogun

29-Jun

I'm sorry to have to say that I seem to have been misled about the development of the 1.1" gun. I was just skimming through Norman Friedman's Naval Anti-Aircraft Guns and Gunnery and found this:  

"By September (1929) BuOrd was working on its own gun design."

"BuOrd was also interested in a non-recoil 1.1 inch gun (Mk 2) offered by Automatic Guns Inc and designed by a Mr Hudson. He had built a 0.50-caliber prototype which was being scaled up to 1.1 inch calibre. Details of the two designs were tabulated in a 7 December 1929 memo in the BuOrd S74-1  file (RG 74, NARA).....The Hudson design was belt-fed (25-50 rounds per belt), the BuOrd design clip-fed (18 rounds per clip). The Hudson design was gas-spring operated....the BuOrd gun was recoil-spring operated. The BuOrd Gun and Mount history dates the beginning of the Bu-Ord design to 13 December 1928, when engineering work began. The Hudson gun was built and tested, but proved unsatisfactory.

I was astonished to read this, as I had first read about Hudson's claimed involvement with the 1.1 inch years ago. But Friedman is quoting official sources, which I can't argue with.  Infuriatingly, I cannot locate the source of the information I posted at the beginning of this thread.

So I must apologise for inadvertently posting incorrect information. Fortunately, I haven't yet sent my book off to the publishers (any day now!).