autogun

Military Guns and Ammunition

Hosted by autogun

This is intended for people interested in the subject of military guns and their ammunition, with emphasis on automatic weapons, particularly in larger calibres (12.7+mm).

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

US 30 to 50 mm developments   Ammunition 20-57mm

Started 16/5/19 by autogun; 6511 views.
autogun

16/5/19

An interesting thread with details of a recent presentation. 

It seems that instead of upgrading from the Bradley's 25 x 137 to the new 30 x 173 (or even the 40 x 180 based on that), the US wants to jump straight to 50 x 228, based on the 35 x 228. Still keen on overmatch, it seems...

PaulSergeant

17/5/19

This Congressional Research Service report gives some background to the OMFV

https://crsreports.congress.gov/product/pdf/R/R45519

Use of a 50 mm cannon is mentioned in several places, but no more than a mention.

There are brief descriptions of the previous FCS and GCV.  The OMFV is part of NGCV with RCS-L, RCS-M, & RCS-H (definitions in the report).

renatohm

17/5/19

What's the latest info on the 50 Supershot?

autogun

17/5/19

renatohm said...

What's the latest info on the 50 Supershot?

The 50 Supershot (50 x 330) has effectively been dead since the end of the Cold War. The new Super 50 (I presume) is a 50 x 228 and the most up-to-date public info I know of is at the link in the first post.

Farmplinker

17/5/19

I suppose it's to take out heavier armor than 30 can. Also, how much more concussion can it make on target? Rattling your targets electronics would be a great soft kill.

renatohm

17/5/19

Thanks for the info.

Do you have any guesstimates on shell/dart weights and MV?

autogun

18/5/19

renatohm said...

Do you have any guesstimates on shell/dart weights and MV?

None at all.

Not even the S40 stats have been officially released, as far as I know, so I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for S50.

taschoene

18/5/19

There isn't much, if any, difference in APFSDS performance between 35x228 and 50x228.  Similar case volume pushing a wider sabot and more or less the same dart.  The advantage of the larger caliber is mainly in the 50mm HE Airburst (HEAB) round, which has much more volume for explosive fill and fuze than the 35mm.

renatohm

18/5/19

Any idea on how much a 50mm HE shell would weigh?