gatnerd

Military Guns and Ammunition

Hosted by gatnerd

This is intended for people interested in the subject of military guns and their ammunition, with emphasis on automatic weapons.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

NGSW Phase 2 Consolidation and info   Small Arms <20mm

Started 30/8/19 by gatnerd; 286183 views.
poliorcetes

2-Sep

Then the problem is if CT technology is fully mature and if NGSW requisites are actually fieldable or not.

I could not understand how SiG technology would hace even slight opportunities of winning the program. More expensive cartridges than brass just for updating existing weapon designs.

Now the next step could be if .338 Norma-ish is going to be adopted. I neither could understand that such a system would be adopted using brass cartridges or cartridges of a different technology than NGSW one

smg762

5-Sep

Strikes me that the CT ammo could be loaded with unusual projectiles, such as multiplex or apds...is that likely do u think

DavidPawley

6-Sep

Yes, but also no.

That is to say, it’s probably technically possible but very unlikely.

Duplex rounds have never really caught on despite being tried many times. The compromises in projectile design necessary to fit 2 in the cartridge are, I suspect, too significant to accept.

APDS has its own problems in small arms which have been touched on in this thread and others. I believe that ATK examined APDS during CT development and rejected it due to excessive parasitic mass.

smg762

6-Sep

Well the 6.8 is  good caliber for the sabot so surely a 4.8mm steel rod could be launched with about 2400lbs of energy, and it penetrates well enough that u dont need tungsten.

Could textron have used 2 or 3 rotatig chambers, to keep the barrel cooler on their SAW...or does it only keep the chambers cooler

• Edited 06 September 2021 10:37  by  smg762
Farmplinker

6-Sep

Just keeps the chambers cooler.

smg762

6-Sep

Well the LMG version on he G11 had 3 chambers and it aparently solved he cook off problem.  Would it at least reduce throat wear or heat?

poliorcetes

6-Sep

nPlex aren't a valid proposal anymore, specially with FCS fielded. APDS... I'm not sure what would happen with plastic sabot at such pressures

roguetechie

6-Sep

You can definitely make sabots hold on long enough to get past the end of the suppressor and that's really all that matters 

VPMudde

6-Sep

All you really need is something to keep the sabot in place until it's clear of the bore. I've seen pictures of shotgun suppressors around, where the bore is lined with guide rods to do just that. For a rifled barrel you'll want these surfaces to match the rifling.

As for the polymers and pressure, they should be fine. Thirty years ago sabot polymers weren't adequate for service, but they did what they needed to most of the time. These days it shouldn't be too hard to formulate a polymer with the exact characteristics you need. You can do FEAs to figure out what those characteristics are, and do computational chemistry to figure out how to get them. (Computers really are something, aren't they?)

roguetechie

6-Sep

Yeah I know of some guys who have done FEA's on a few sabot designs that look pretty favorable from a strength, function, and parasitic mass stand point (as low as 5% sabot weight to projectile weight) 

It's just a matter of getting everything together to start testing and small scale prototyping at this point.

There's a whole bunch of stuff that's absolutely possible, it's just a matter of the will and funding to get it past the digital validation phase.