gatnerd

Military Guns and Ammunition

Hosted by gatnerd

This is intended for people interested in the subject of military guns and their ammunition, with emphasis on automatic weapons.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

NGSW Phase 2 Consolidation and info   Small Arms <20mm

Started 30/8/19 by gatnerd; 453268 views.
poliorcetes

8/9/21

I realized that Textron / HK rifle is needlessly extended backwards. As there isn't backward extraction, backwards movement only needs to reach the base of the fresh cartridge.

Steyr ACR - Advanced Combar Rifle - Modern Firearms

Just look at Steyr ACR. Before I could see the internals, I wondered (during the 80s and 90s) how the magazine was so close to the buttstock. And here you are.

Recovery spring can also work against recoil and thus it needs a sizeable working lenght. But it could be placed elsewhere and save some lenght to the weapon, even permitting an innovation as novel and groundbreaking as a folding stock

EmericD

8/9/21

poliorcetes said:

I realized that Textron / HK rifle is needlessly extended backwards.

A lot of bolt travel equals less bolt velocity before hitting the buffer and less "felt recoil".

smg762

8/9/21

The soviet prototype AK used this too...i think it was called the TKB022...

am i rigt in thinking they both use the same rising chamber mechanism..

Also, any thoughts on that 'finned bearing surface' in terms of feasibility?

Seems like a way to get a .22 up to 762 nato energies - without a sabot

poliorcetes

8/9/21

Reviewing last cutout video it seems to be clear. Thanks as always, Emeric

stancrist

8/9/21

poliorcetes said:

Recovery spring can also work against recoil and thus it needs a sizeable working lenght. But it could be placed elsewhere and save some lenght to the weapon, even permitting an innovation as novel and groundbreaking as a folding stock

Not sure what you mean.

It looks to me like using the Steyr ACR mechanism in a conventional rifle would not allow any reduction in weapon length.

And because of the downward ejection, I see no way to significantly reduce the overall length of the bullpup configuration.

smg762

8/9/21

If one applied the 85-100k pressures to , say, a .220 swift, what would the result be....could it reach NGSW energies?

EmericD

8/9/21

smg762 said:

If one applied the 85-100k pressures to , say, a .220 swift, what would the result be....could it reach NGSW energies?

Channeling 3600 J of KE in a .22" barrel would be interesting, for sure (75 gr VLD at >1200 m/s, seems it could be done at 90 kpsi in a 28" barrel, at least for one shot, maybe two).

DavidPawley

8/9/21

And as we can see, the bolt carrier only travels far enough rearward for the rammer to align with the base of the next cartridge.

roguetechie

8/9/21

The tkb-022pm wasn't an AK prototype and no it's not a rising chamber Design.

It uses a falling breechblock and rammer design which is very ingenious.

Max actually has a YouTube video with a very accurate 3d model of it's internal workings.

The gun is pure genius in so many ways though not particularly practical or large scale producible.