gatnerd

Military Guns and Ammunition

Hosted by gatnerd

This is intended for people interested in the subject of military guns and their ammunition, with emphasis on automatic weapons.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

NGSW Phase 2 Consolidation and info   Small Arms <20mm

Started 30/8/19 by gatnerd; 314522 views.
smg762

8-Sep

The soviet prototype AK used this too...i think it was called the TKB022...

am i rigt in thinking they both use the same rising chamber mechanism..

Also, any thoughts on that 'finned bearing surface' in terms of feasibility?

Seems like a way to get a .22 up to 762 nato energies - without a sabot

poliorcetes

8-Sep

Reviewing last cutout video it seems to be clear. Thanks as always, Emeric

stancrist

8-Sep

poliorcetes said:

Recovery spring can also work against recoil and thus it needs a sizeable working lenght. But it could be placed elsewhere and save some lenght to the weapon, even permitting an innovation as novel and groundbreaking as a folding stock

Not sure what you mean.

It looks to me like using the Steyr ACR mechanism in a conventional rifle would not allow any reduction in weapon length.

And because of the downward ejection, I see no way to significantly reduce the overall length of the bullpup configuration.

smg762

8-Sep

If one applied the 85-100k pressures to , say, a .220 swift, what would the result be....could it reach NGSW energies?

EmericD

8-Sep

smg762 said:

If one applied the 85-100k pressures to , say, a .220 swift, what would the result be....could it reach NGSW energies?

Channeling 3600 J of KE in a .22" barrel would be interesting, for sure (75 gr VLD at >1200 m/s, seems it could be done at 90 kpsi in a 28" barrel, at least for one shot, maybe two).

DavidPawley

8-Sep

And as we can see, the bolt carrier only travels far enough rearward for the rammer to align with the base of the next cartridge.

roguetechie

8-Sep

The tkb-022pm wasn't an AK prototype and no it's not a rising chamber Design.

It uses a falling breechblock and rammer design which is very ingenious.

Max actually has a YouTube video with a very accurate 3d model of it's internal workings.

The gun is pure genius in so many ways though not particularly practical or large scale producible.

Red7272

9-Sep

roguetechie said:

The gun is pure genius in so many ways though not particularly practical or large scale producible.

I've always thought it was the solution to all the issues with a bullpup, but it is just a little too complex to be soldier proof. I imagine now it could be made cost effectively with CNCs and investment casting but even so that would be the only issue in it's way - beyond the unnatural bias against bullpups. 

stancrist

9-Sep

Red7272 said:

I've always thought it was the solution to all the issues with a bullpup

I'm curious how you reached that conclusion.  Have you handled or fired one?   Because it looks to me like the TKB-022 has most of the usual bullpup issues (e.g., poor balance and handling, excessive length of pull, etc.) and more.

With the extreme rearward location of the magazine, weapon handling and mag changes while wearing body armor and load bearing gear seem likely to be problematical.