gatnerd

Military Guns and Ammunition

Hosted by gatnerd

This is intended for people interested in the subject of military guns and their ammunition, with emphasis on automatic weapons.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

NGSW Phase 2 Consolidation and info   Small Arms <20mm

Started 30/8/19 by gatnerd; 576091 views.
smg762

1/11/21

Am i right in thinking that polymer case requires thicker walls, and combining it with 80k PSI would need even thicker walls?

If one had a polymer 80k 5.7x28, would it be substantially larger than the original 5.7?

Mr. T (MrT4)

1/11/21

SIG composite case is steel reinforced only on the very bottom,they can apply the same reinforcement to the plastic case from TVC from what i understand about high pressure cases its about supporting the unsuported/unencased part between chamber end and boltface hence the steel case heads. Of course, then there is the question of how well the plastics can hold/ seal the steel case head.

EmericD

1/11/21

Mr. T (MrT4) said:

SIG composite case is steel reinforced only on the very bottom,they can apply the same reinforcement to the plastic case from TVC from what i understand about high pressure cases its about supporting the unsuported/unencased part between chamber end and boltface hence the steel case heads. Of course, then there is the question of how well the plastics can hold/ seal the steel case head.

True Velocity Composite case proposed for the NGSW program was able to withstand bore obstruction overpressure without any damage.

roguetechie

1/11/21

I think sig is talking bigger than they can back up.

Especially about what TV can or cannot do.

And being incredibly blunt, sig NEEDS to do this because their ammo concept is by far the worst, most expensive, and will create the most logistical issues due to the loss of round count per standard pallet!

The best option right now is probably TV ammo in sig guns or Textron.

stancrist

1/11/21

roguetechie said:

[SIG 6.8 ammo] will create the most logistical issues due to the loss of round count per standard pallet!

How so?

roguetechie

1/11/21

The increased base diameter, very simple answer.

stancrist

1/11/21

???  SIG base diameter is the same as TV.  Both are smaller than Textron CT case diameter.

smg762

1/11/21

Am i right in thinking an NGSW soldier can only carry about 125 rounds or so

A slight increqse over 762 nato

stancrist

2/11/21

smg762 said:

Am i right in thinking an NGSW soldier can only carry about 125 rounds or so

As I recall, the Army wants the basic load to be about the same as currently:  ~210 rounds.

With NGSW 20-rd magazines, I reckon the loadout would have to look something like this.

Gr1ff1th

2/11/21

Jeez I really hope they can come up with some 2 magazine pouches or it's just going to be impractical