gatnerd

Military Guns and Ammunition

Hosted by gatnerd

This is intended for people interested in the subject of military guns and their ammunition, with emphasis on automatic weapons.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

NGSW Phase 2 Consolidation and info   Small Arms <20mm

Started 30/8/19 by gatnerd; 454267 views.
Apsyda

19-Apr

Well, I think we have info now.

SIG wins the NGSW bid.

Meet your new XM5 and XM250!

https://www.army.mil/article/255827/army_awards_next_generation_squad_weapon_contract

Apsyda

19-Apr

Rifle, in XM pattern

Apsyda

19-Apr

AR, in XM pattern

gatnerd

19-Apr

This was an interesting note in the SSD article - at least one branch recognizes the Bullpup MasterRace:

Both USSOCOM and US Marine Corps are monitoring the program. It will be interesting to see how this affects SOCOM’s 6.5 Creedmoor-based initiatives. As for the Marine Corps, word is that they would only transition away from their H&K produced 416 rifles, named the M27 if it were to a bullpup platform.

gatnerd

19-Apr

For those following the NGSW program for years, I'm sure we're all a bit chagrinned that SIGs case design beat out the more technologically promising polymer options by TV and Textron. 

Apsyda

19-Apr

Yeah, that is really disappointing. I was really impressed with TV's polymer ammo and its mix of advanced materials and mostly conventional case design. Seemed to be a step forwards, but not one too far.

I'm really curious to see a future breakdown of this project. And why the other two bids lost out.

gatnerd

19-Apr

Apsyda said:

I'm really curious to see a future breakdown of this project. And why the other two bids lost out

So am I. 

Couple possible explanations that come to mind:

-Textron and TV had technical difficulties with their ammo, leaving SIG the last man standing 

-Army preferred SIG's LMG and AR style rifle / was unwilling to have a TV case+SIG LMG option. 

-Army unconvinced TV could produce enough weapons/ammo given their small current company size 

-SIG is just the Michael Jordan of securing small arms contracts and dunked on the competition 

Hopefully we wont have to wait 30 years like we did with the ACR results to find out what really happened 

• Edited 19 April 2022 19:56  by  gatnerd
stancrist

19-Apr

gatnerd said:

For those following the NGSW program for years, I'm sure we're all a bit chagrinned that SIGs case design beat out the more technologically promising polymer options by TV and Textron.

Nobody should be surprised.  The problems with Textron's design were discussed in this thread a year or so ago.

And TV's rifle is a bullpup...  https://forums.delphiforums.com/autogun/messages?msg=7519.1015

roguetechie

19-Apr

Sig should probably wait a bit before celebrating too hard...

The way this has went down combined with stuff we've heard from guardsman, combined with the fact that I have a buddy who has actually laid eyes on a Beretta/gd rm223, and the earlier sig moustache guy video admission that army essentially dropped the reference threat pen requirements because no one could meet them (indicating the advap round design itself isn't performing well) make this look like something that could be victory in name only.

Especially since both sig and Lonestar already signed IDIQ contracts upon proceeding into the finals.