autogun

Military Guns and Ammunition

Hosted by autogun

This is intended for people interested in the subject of military guns and their ammunition, with emphasis on automatic weapons, particularly in larger calibres (12.7+mm).

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

NGSW Phase 2 Consolidation and info   Small Arms <20mm

Started 30/8/19 by gatnerd; 61033 views.
poliorcetes

22-May

AFTER US Army have adopted it already.

My conspirancy of the day: the candidate has been already selected

QuintusO

22-May

It was a program spurred by a specific weapon (the Textron), but I expect they will play it out. The system is engineered to allow dark horses to come from behind and win, even if the preference for something else is already there. Happens all the time.

poliorcetes

23-May

At least they are going to take their time and pursuit a real procurement challenge, instead a McNamarish adoption. And because all alternatives are American, I hope that they are going to decide for the most balanced proposal (vs. .308 and 280 british)

And don't get me wrong: American armed forces do care about individual weapon and its cartridge. Rest of NATO forces can leverage that. And we renounced to the development of new cartridges decades ago

Msg 7519.663 and the next 1 deleted
DavidPawley

23-May

7.62 x 51 was the most balanced proposal. .280 sucked.

QuintusO

24-May

.280 blew chunks.

I'd sooner pick 7.62x39, at least a first gen AK can hold 4 MOA.

• Edited 24 May 2020 0:57  by  QuintusO
PRM2

24-May

You and David Pawley are probably correct about the .280, especially the later .280/30, which was perverted by trying to comply with the US Army fetish for long range marksmanship by every squad member. Arguably the earlier .270 was a better prospect and was much closer to the concept of an intermediate round like the excellent 7.62x39.

On the subject of ammunition feed, did you consider going back to top feed magazines like the ZB26/Bren and most LMGs from the 1930s? It certainly made the job of reloading quicker and easier for the no.2 in the gun group, who also looked after changing the barrel and keeping magazines topped up. Ejecting downwards also kept the spent brass out of the way, accepting that there is the issue of offset sights, solved by not having left handed shooters as the gunner.

poliorcetes

24-May

.280 seems to have a better BC than either 7.62x39 or 7.62x45. Besides, Eo  of 2700j seems to be a nice compromise for the time between 7.62x51 and 7.62x39

I just cannot believe than a better BC bullet cannot improve the results of fatty M43

Edit