gatnerd

Military Guns and Ammunition

Hosted by gatnerd

This is intended for people interested in the subject of military guns and their ammunition, with emphasis on automatic weapons.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

NGSW Phase 2 Consolidation and info   Small Arms <20mm

Started 30/8/19 by gatnerd; 547475 views.
EmericD

7/9/19

Red7272 said...

Emeric, do you need to sue?

This looks very similar to something he showed us years ago. Polymer case with a thickened shoulder that was glued to the projectile. It would make long ogive version of existing round possible.

Yes, it' very similar to (but probably better than) the 7,62x43 "neckless" I made years ago with a shortened aluminium/plastic case of blank ammo.

The involvement of Beretta is interesting, a few month ago their head of product development told me they were working on a different rifle than the ARX series, so maybe there's a link to investigate.

In reply toRe: msg 67
gatnerd

8/9/19

A little bit more on SIG:

https://www.recoilweb.com/sig-sauers-secret-sauce-to-winning-146832.html

Best photos so far of their cartridge and case design:

"SIG opted for a bi-metallic, multi-piece case instead of a telescoping polymer case. During testing, SIG learned that it’s difficult for polymer rounds to keep high pressures. As of December 2018, SIG has demonstrated at two separate locations for the U.S. Army the 6.8mm Hybrid ammo shot from a 16-inch barrel at 3,000 feet per second.

One of the many benefits of SIG’s Hybrid ammo is that it can be used in legacy firearms. For the regular consumer, this translates to access to high-pressure, high-velocity rounds in the future that we can use in the guns we already own. For competitors, Lindsay Bunch, of the Strategic Weapons Group, likens the increased performance of the hybrid ammo to getting 24-inch bolt gun velocity in a 16-inch gas gun."

Most interesting is a look into their .338 LWMMG, of which their NGSW LMG is based upon. This gives some hint as to how it works:

"The SIG SAUER Lightweight 338 Machine Gun is their answer to a USSOCOM Request for Information solicitation for a Lightweight Medium Machinegun (LWMMG), which should replace the M240. SIG says this 338 is the big brother to the machine gun that will be submitted for the NGSW-AR solicitation to replace the M249. The machine gun has been developed by an engineer with more than 30 years of experience building machine guns — it’s his specialty. Weighing under 20 pounds, the 338 Norma Magnum machine gun fires a bullet at 2,650 feet per second out of its 24-inch barrel and that projectile is still supersonic at 1,500 yards. And it has a cyclic rate of 500 to 600 shots per minute. We’d expect a magnum caliber to have quite a bit of kick, but the SIG team says the unique recoil design produces less felt-recoil than a 308 Winchester. To put it into perspective, the SIG MCX, chambered in 5.56, puts 2 foot-pounds of energy into your shoulder, while the SIG .338 machine gun delivers 3 to 4 foot-pounds of energy to the shooter’s shoulder, according to SIG engineers."

Farmplinker

8/9/19

Seeing how Mauser is still living off the royalties it got off the US prior to WW1, you should sue. Your great-great-grandchildren will thank you.;)

EmericD

8/9/19

Farmplinker said...

Seeing how Mauser is still living off the royalties it got off the US prior to WW1, you should sue. Your great-great-grandchildren will thank you.;)

I already helped the USMC to save several millions of US dollars, my employer is going to think that I'm working for Uncle Sam... :-)

JPeelen

8/9/19

Could you elaborate on "how Mauser is still living off the royalties it got off the US prior to WW1"? I doubt that the, at the time, very small U.S. Army played any significant role in Mauser income.

All that is left of "Mauser" is a brand name and a front company on the premises of Blaser at Isny which owns it. I fail to see any attempt to market something interesting since the M03 16 years ago.

The former Mauser factory at Oberndorf is now part of Rheinmetall. The Oberndorf management took pride in ordering scrapping (yes, scrapping, not selling) each and every precious small arms caliber test barrel they still had, for example.

Farmplinker

8/9/19

It was a joke. I know the royalties the US paid weren't squat compared to WW1 and 2 contracts Mauser had.

Red7272

8/9/19

Wessels3 said...

What it basically comes down to is that the recoil of a hot 6.8mm round will not be a problem. The weapon system will not be very light, with lights, sights and lasers stuck on it, as well as a suppressor. The weight helps to reduce recoil and then there is the suppressor, as you showed, which also reduces recoil. And, of course, the suppressor reduces the other issue with hot rounds, i.e. muzzle blast and flash.

And in room clearing they can wear ear muffs and a welding helmet, then unscrew the suppresser and fire a few rounds from the doorway into each room. Anyone inside will be deaf, blind and on fire.

In reply toRe: msg 73
gatnerd

10/9/19

SIG showed off its Ammo Bag for the 6.8 LMG:

http://soldiersystems.net/2019/09/10/dsei-19-sig-next-gen-automatic-rifle-ammo-soft-bag/

"Available in 50, 100, or 200 round capacity, this soft bag has a clip integrated at the top to attach it to the MG."

"The belt links start with a spoon which is inserted into the feedtray and pulled through the other side to seat the first round."

stancrist

10/9/19

Thanks for posting that.  The bag shown looks to be 50-rd capacity.  Considering the size of a 200-rd container for the 5.56 M249, I can't imagine how a 200-rd bag for 6.8 NGSW ammo would be at all practical.

gatnerd

11/9/19

"Thanks for posting that.  The bag shown looks to be 50-rd capacity.  Considering the size of a 200-rd container for the 5.56 M249, I can't imagine how a 200-rd bag for 6.8 NGSW ammo would be at all practical."

Yeah 200rd sounds...ambitions. Unless its like a backpack/waist mounted system, or for vehicles/fixed defense. 

(19.2g 6.8 + 4g mg link)x200 = 4.64kg / 10.22lb

(24g 6.8 + 4g mg limk) x 200 = 5.6kg / 12.35lbs