gatnerd

Military Guns and Ammunition

Hosted by gatnerd

This is intended for people interested in the subject of military guns and their ammunition, with emphasis on automatic weapons.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

NGSW Phase 2 Consolidation and info   Small Arms <20mm

Started 30/8/19 by gatnerd; 553153 views.
Farmplinker

8/9/19

It was a joke. I know the royalties the US paid weren't squat compared to WW1 and 2 contracts Mauser had.

Red7272

8/9/19

Wessels3 said...

What it basically comes down to is that the recoil of a hot 6.8mm round will not be a problem. The weapon system will not be very light, with lights, sights and lasers stuck on it, as well as a suppressor. The weight helps to reduce recoil and then there is the suppressor, as you showed, which also reduces recoil. And, of course, the suppressor reduces the other issue with hot rounds, i.e. muzzle blast and flash.

And in room clearing they can wear ear muffs and a welding helmet, then unscrew the suppresser and fire a few rounds from the doorway into each room. Anyone inside will be deaf, blind and on fire.

In reply toRe: msg 73
gatnerd

10/9/19

SIG showed off its Ammo Bag for the 6.8 LMG:

http://soldiersystems.net/2019/09/10/dsei-19-sig-next-gen-automatic-rifle-ammo-soft-bag/

"Available in 50, 100, or 200 round capacity, this soft bag has a clip integrated at the top to attach it to the MG."

"The belt links start with a spoon which is inserted into the feedtray and pulled through the other side to seat the first round."

stancrist

10/9/19

Thanks for posting that.  The bag shown looks to be 50-rd capacity.  Considering the size of a 200-rd container for the 5.56 M249, I can't imagine how a 200-rd bag for 6.8 NGSW ammo would be at all practical.

gatnerd

11/9/19

"Thanks for posting that.  The bag shown looks to be 50-rd capacity.  Considering the size of a 200-rd container for the 5.56 M249, I can't imagine how a 200-rd bag for 6.8 NGSW ammo would be at all practical."

Yeah 200rd sounds...ambitions. Unless its like a backpack/waist mounted system, or for vehicles/fixed defense. 

(19.2g 6.8 + 4g mg link)x200 = 4.64kg / 10.22lb

(24g 6.8 + 4g mg limk) x 200 = 5.6kg / 12.35lbs

poliorcetes

11/9/19

Indeed ammo backpacks can adquire popularity with the new cartridge

However, adding the new fire control systems I would assume that ammunition spending would be decreased

stancrist

11/9/19

I doubt that it's a backpack.  As I recall, the Ironman backpack system developed by the US Army held 500 rounds of 7.62 ammo.

In reply toRe: msg 78
gatnerd

12/9/19

More info from TFB:

How this is 20% lighter remains to be seen...

The MG-6.8 can be chambered in both SIG’s 6.8x51mm Hybrid and 7.62x51mm, requiring only a barrel change and no change to the bolt. The MG-6.8 takes the MG-338’s technology and compresses it into a package the size of an M249.

It weighs around 12lbs and some weight saving measures have been taken to achieve this with the carrying handle removed and the MG-6.8 does not have the ability to change its feed direction. Additionally, the quick-change barrel feature is not present but is still able to change barrels if needed. 

It uses the same shot-stroke gas piston system and also has a similar recoil mitigation system and internal buffer [to the sig .338] which reportedly brings down its felt recoil to that of an M4 Carbine – 2ft.lbs.

In reply toRe: msg 79
gatnerd

12/9/19

Textrons submission now public:

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2019/09/12/first-photo-of-textrons-ngsw-prototypes/

LMG looks great.

Carbine looks absolutely awful though, the forward 'tumor' has grown even larger since the 6.5 CT carbine:

This likely would have been better as a bullpup, so that the 'tumor' could be tucked into the stock/above the pistol grip, allowing a slimmer, easier handgaurd.

I imagine this one is tremendously front heavy in terms of balance.

EmericD

12/9/19

gatnerd said...

How this is 20% lighter remains to be seen...

I'm seeing "brass case" and "metal base", so maybe the base is not steel?.

The weight reduction of ~20% is not an impossible task if the base represent 60% of typical a brass case total weight, and replacing this brass base with lightweight alloy base.