autogun

Military Guns and Ammunition

Hosted by autogun

This is intended for people interested in the subject of military guns and their ammunition, with emphasis on automatic weapons, particularly in larger calibres (12.7+mm).

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

NGSW Phase 2 Consolidation and info   Small Arms <20mm

Started 30/8/19 by gatnerd; 68533 views.
EmericD

3-Jun

QuintusO said...

I eagerly await the soldier's load increasing by another 15 pounds, with 5 of those being in his weapon alone.

From this side of the Atlantic, the situation is different, but I know at least one French regiment who is really waiting for the release of the NGSW-R & -AR... the last time I talked with them just after their return from Mali, this 6.8 mm round was their wet dreams.

QuintusO

3-Jun

Until they find out how heavy it is, I bet.

Most people are neither consummate ballisticians nor fastidious accountants, so you could tell them all about the capabilities of your new 35mm cannon round and they'd want an infantry rifle chambered for it. But when the reality hits, those same people have a very different reaction.

QuintusO

3-Jun

.308 and 5.56 are expected to be released first. I don't know about the high pressure stuff but reportedly the GDOTS ammo runs a little cooler than its competitors anyway.

EmericD

3-Jun

QuintusO said...

Until they find out how heavy it is, I bet.

Probably, given that they acquired .260 Remington rifles with carbon barrels to minimize rifle weight. Time will tell.

Farmplinker

3-Jun

That's probably the best thing to do.

Farmplinker

3-Jun

Could maybe your guys get some of our 77-grain OTM loadings to try out? Or would that not be allowed?

EmericD

3-Jun

Farmplinker said...

Could maybe your guys get some of our 77-grain OTM loadings to try out? Or would that not be allowed?

OTM are not allowed for the "big army", but those guys are not part of the big army. I don't know if the Mk262 is a great performer out of a 10.5" barrel, maybe the Mk318 would be more effective (that's the round they want).

Anyway, need to work on a FMS...

QuintusO

3-Jun

EmericD said...

Farmplinker said...

OTM are not allowed for the "big army", but those guys are not part of the big army. I don't know if the Mk262 is a great performer out of a 10.5" barrel, maybe the Mk318 would be more effective (that's the round they want).

Anyway, need to work on a FMS...

Both are very good from that length.

Farmplinker

8-Jul

Don't look too bad. We'll have to see how they perform under field conditions, which might be a killer when regular infantry gets hold of them.