autogun

Military Guns and Ammunition

Hosted by autogun

This is intended for people interested in the subject of military guns and their ammunition, with emphasis on automatic weapons, particularly in larger calibres (12.7+mm).

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

GSDF to get 1st new rifles in 31 years   Small Arms <20mm

Started 19-May by sineva; 828 views.
sineva

19-May

Japan's Ground Self-Defense Force (GSDF) is getting its first new rifles,the Type 20 assault rifle,in 31 years to assist it in the defense of the country's southwestern Nansei Islands against advances by China.

http://www.asahi.com/ajw/articles/13386038

In reply toRe: msg 1
EmericD

20-May

First export market for the HK433?

taschoene

20-May

No. It's a Howa design and neat the HK 433 and the SCAR-L in the Japanese competition.  

In reply toRe: msg 1
Farmplinker

20-May

I suspect the F-35s we're selling them are a bigger factor in defending the islands.

Now, DIE AR-180 ACTIONS! DIE!

Guardsman26

7-Jun

EmericD said...

That's exactly what I thought when I first saw the Type 20. This, the HK G36, FN SCAR, CZ805 Bren 2, and HK433 between them seem to have established a new AR standard. Is it better than the traditional M4/ M16 design? Possibly, but you'd hope that after almost 60 years someone would finally eclipse Eugene Stoner's brilliance. 

QuintusO

7-Jun

Guardsman26 said...

EmericD said...

That's exactly what I thought when I first saw the Type 20. This, the HK G36, FN SCAR, CZ805 Bren 2, and HK433 between them seem to have established a new AR standard. Is it better than the traditional M4/ M16 design? Possibly, but you'd hope that after almost 60 years someone would finally eclipse Eugene Stoner's brilliance. 

You must not mean "standard" as in "common pattern", as none of those weapons share parts.

EmericD

8-Jun

Guardsman26 said...

EmericD said...

Well, all those rifles seems to have at least some AR-18 DNA, so Eugene Stoner in not that far away.

In reply toRe: msg 6
zragon13

8-Jun

I think of all the "new" crop of military asssault rifles on the market that I am familiar with, only the IWI Tavor strays from the AR18 mechanism as it uses a fixed long stroke piston. And although it has a square bolt carrier, the locking bolt has 4 large lugs that are not equal in size/shape nor spacing.

In reply toRe: msg 9
Dasypus

9-Jun

What connects most of the is the NIH syndrome. They are nationalistic efforts to preserve national pride, sustain national production capabilities, and create national jobs.