autogun

Military Guns and Ammunition

Hosted by autogun

This is intended for people interested in the subject of military guns and their ammunition, with emphasis on automatic weapons, particularly in larger calibres (12.7+mm).

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

SS Richard Montgomery in the news again   General Military Discussion

Started 8-Jun by autogun; 371 views.
autogun

8-Jun

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/contractor-sought-cut-masts-off-190000513.html

The equivalent of a 1.4 kiloton bomb in the Thames is due for a visit...

Mustrakrakis

8-Jun

As we say in the nuclear industry when discussing the potential health impact of radiation doses, "The risk is small."

If I'm understanding the situation correctly, cutting off the masts may reduce the chance of the ship blowing up, at the cost of possibly causing the ship to blow up, but the ship may blow up on its own anyway with or without the masts, but then again it may not.  I'm glad that I'm not the one that has to do the risk assessment for something like that.

nincomp

8-Jun

The real difficulty is operating a saw while you are plugging your ears with your fingers.  Oh, and did anybody mention that it might blow up? ;0

Wessels3

9-Jun

The real difficulty is operating a saw while you are plugging your ears with your fingers.  Oh, and did anybody mention that it might blow up? ;0

LOL!

Mustrakrakis

9-Jun

nincomp said...

The real difficulty is operating a saw while you are plugging your ears with your fingers.

The trick there is to turn your face ninety degrees away from the source of the noise and shrug your leading shoulder up against your forward ear.  Much like safety squints, it's not entirely effective but it's better than nothing.

And yes, I've unfortunately done this.  (The shoulder on the ear thing, not the sawing pieces off a mushroom cloud looking for an excuse to happen thing.)