autogun

Military Guns and Ammunition

Hosted by autogun

This is intended for people interested in the subject of military guns and their ammunition, with emphasis on automatic weapons, particularly in larger calibres (12.7+mm).

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

minimum vehicle size por Russian AU-220M   General Military Discussion

Started 14-Jun by poliorcetes; 999 views.
poliorcetes

14-Jun

Hi all,

I wonder what would be the minimum vehicle size for a functional AU-220M BAJKAL turret?

A BMD-1?

In reply toRe: msg 1
poliorcetes

18-Jun

Anybody?

RovingPedant

18-Jun

poliorcetes said...

I wonder what would be the minimum vehicle size for a functional AU-220M BAJKAL turret?

For people who put a 125mm tank gun on a BMD-3, anything’s possible. BMD-1 is about 2/3rds the weight of a BMD-3
Really it depends on what you regard as fulfilling the requirements of “functional”.  Exceeding a vehicle’s Gross Vehicle Weight rating doesn’t cause to to instantly collapse, but will impact its mobility and longevity.
The smaller the vehicle, the more impact the turret will have on it and the other way around. You might find that a very small vehicle moves so much under recoil that rapid shots will result in unacceptable loss of accuracy. The Sprut-SD certainly jumps around a bit on firing.

If you can modify the base vehicle, you could probably put the turret module on anything that’ll take the weight. There are pictures of large “technicals” that are 5tonne trucks with tank turrets on, so an 8 tonne BMD ought to cope, at least for a little while. Accuracy and mobility would probably suffer though.

poliorcetes

19-Jun

Thanks for the answer

Actually I'm more and more interested on a optionally manned BMD-sized vehicle or even smaller. Recently MILREM presented a render of a big UGV, and I wondered if such concept could be ported to a revamped, optionally piloted BMD-1 armed with the new unmanned turret. If it would the case, it would be a nice addition to an airborne force for the first days of a quick reaction operation

Imagen

RovingPedant

20-Jun

You could almost certainly install it, have the resulting vehicle run around and fire the gun. Too small a vehicle would make it more of a mobile tripod than a fighting vehicle, but maybe that would suffice.

poliorcetes

20-Jun

Indeed mobile tripod, or just immobile but servo-assisted tripod, both are totally undervaluated concept. A simple and cheap implement, guided by a basic FCS. Built by the thousands, it could change too many things

Red7272

21-Jun

poliorcetes said...

Actually I'm more and more interested on a optionally manned BMD-sized vehicle or even smaller. Recently MILREM presented a render of a big UGV, and I wondered if such concept could be ported to a revamped, optionally piloted BMD-1 armed with the new unmanned turret. If it would the case, it would be a nice addition to an airborne force for the first days of a quick reaction operation

BMD 4 would be the smallest i suspect. It already has the 100/30 mm turret so the 57 mm would not be an issue, it was designed for that role specifically and was successful ion Georgia in 2008. Uran 9 is smaller again and mounts the 30 mm and clusters of PGM. There are also versions of the BMP 3 chassis mounting a single 30 mm cannon that have are designed for human and remote operation. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgfGrn50NiM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNYmzT22524

poliorcetes

23-Jun

Do you find BMD suitable for any unmanned role?

Red7272

23-Jun

poliorcetes said...

Do you find BMD suitable for any unmanned role?

I think currently the BMD-4 is still in production and BMDs are still in demand while there are a bunch of surplus to requirements BMP-3s about. It's a great chassis which no one pretends is any use as a troop transport any more so using them for all these roles is pretty much a given. 

A dedicated air droppable un-manned BMD will be a thing at some point. The BMD-4 should be big enough for the 57 mm, and where were some big boxy BMD-4s chassis - which might be an actual APC version of it - a couple May Day parades ago.

poliorcetes

24-Jun

But why not an upgraded BMD-1? Have all of them been destroyed?

I find the BMD-1, at least potentially, a sound concept in terms of volume. Bigger than a weasel-II, smaller than any other APC, maybe improving the ballistic protection on the critical places for an unmanned vehicle would be a nice support vehicle for airborne troops or even for peace missions