autogun

Military Guns and Ammunition

Hosted by autogun

This is intended for people interested in the subject of military guns and their ammunition, with emphasis on automatic weapons, particularly in larger calibres (12.7+mm).

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

WWSD 2020   Small Arms <20mm

Started 19-Jun by stancrist; 2981 views.
stancrist

19-Jun

What would Stoner do if he were to design the AR15 in 2020?

Since the US military switched to adjustable/telescoping stocks several years ago,

it seems very unlikely that in 2020 the AR15 would be designed with a fixed stock.

Ian and Karl, you screwed up!  

Update on WWSD2020 (What Would Stoner Do) Project - YouTube

gatnerd

19-Jun

I think the WWSD 1 piece polymer lower is an interesting basis for what a 'WW3' mass production AR15 based assault rifle would look like.

Example: China is going Japan 1930's, looking to take over Asia. The US needs to pump out 50 million rifles, as well as provide a TDP for asian countries to rapidly produce domestically.

WW3 mass production conscript rifle would probably end up something like this:

In a previous thread on arfcom from last year, which i cant seem to find now, KE Arms claimed these injection moulded lowers can be produced at a rate of 1x per 60 seconds. 

Not only is that a fast production time, but the GWACS lower replaces multiple metal parts (aluminum Lower receiver, grip+screws, aluminum buffer tube + castle nut) with a plastic single part. So the net effect is both production and assembly speed would be greatly enhanced, while production costs would be lowered. 

PSA was regularly selling AR15's with collapsible stocks for $400-$450 last year (pre-panic.) I wouldn't be surprised if it were possible to crank out Polymer Lower based basic AR's for $300-$350. 

zragon13

19-Jun

It is ironic that some of the AR15 design features that were clearly work-around solutions, have today become user desired, and almost mandatory requirements for competing designs today:

• Telescoping buttstock (instead of folding)
  • T-shaped charging handle located in front of your (hard to think of a worse location) that is Non-recipricating
  • LW "disposable" magazines even became NATO standard!

Americana rules the waves!

QuintusO

19-Jun

You're aware that WWSD exists to sell those lowers, right?

stancrist

19-Jun

What, just because the lowers are for sale, you think there's a connection?   ;^)

QuintusO

19-Jun

stancrist said...

What, just because the lowers are for sale, you think there's a connection?   ;^)

You're right, I'm probably imagining things. XD

stancrist

19-Jun

zragon13 said...

It is ironic that some of the AR15 design features that were clearly work-around solutions, have today become user desired, and almost mandatory requirements for competing designs today:

• Telescoping buttstock (instead of folding)
  • T-shaped charging handle located in front of your (hard to think of a worse location) that is Non-recipricating
  • LW "disposable" magazines even became NATO standard!

Indeed it is ironic.  And I totally agree about the T-handle, a design feature that I truly detest.

QuintusO

19-Jun

Having had to design a few charging handles, there are no ideal solutions. They all suck, and the t-handle is one of the least bad.

stancrist

19-Jun

gatnerd said...

I think the WWSD 1 piece polymer lower is an interesting basis for what a 'WW3' mass production AR15 based assault rifle would look like.

Example: China is going Japan 1930's, looking to take over Asia. The US needs to pump out 50 million rifles...

50 million rifles???  Heh, heh.  Where would the US get 50 million infantrymen?  And how would 50 million US soldiers even get over to China to fight a land war?  The US would be hard pressed to get a tiny fraction of that number of troops over there.

Besides, China ain't Imperial Japan.  As an Army officer I know once said to me, "The Chinese are merchants, not warriors.  Always have been."  They would rather engage in commerce, than armed conflict.

stancrist

19-Jun

QuintusO said...

...the t-handle is one of the least bad.

Clearly we're not going to agree on that subject.  IMO, it's one of the worst.  Poor leverage; difficult to grasp; and too easy to scrape one's knuckles on the forward assist.

I'll take a design like this, any day:

RA TECH customs WE open bolt M14 - YouTube