autogun

Military Guns and Ammunition

Hosted by autogun

This is intended for people interested in the subject of military guns and their ammunition, with emphasis on automatic weapons, particularly in larger calibres (12.7+mm).

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

40mm CTA   Army Guns 20+mm

Started 28-Jun by graylion; 522 views.
graylion

28-Jun

Does anybody have a good status on this? Can this now be considered a mature, reliable gun? And if so, why would you buy anything else?

autogun

28-Jun

As far as I know, it works well enough, although the most recent news about it is from France: https://www.overtdefense.com/2020/06/23/french-army-unveils-jaguar-recon-vehicle/

You might want to buy a 35 mm Bushmaster III instead, as that provides the option of a future upgrade to Super 50.

graylion

28-Jun

That's rather a big gun though - I want to stick it into an RWS like the Samson on top of a Piranha eight-wheeler

autogun

28-Jun

Yes, it is. It all depends on your priorities.

graylion

28-Jun

And I really like the Jaguar, I think it would suit Ireland down to the ground.

jxexqx

28-Jun

I know that modern armour isn't like the simple plates of old but every time I see the Jaguar I imagine a French designer looking over the drawings and saying (in French, obviously), "Pierre! You haven't put enough shot traps in! Do it again!"

renatohm

28-Jun

I don't quite remember the comparison of 30x173 vs 40 CTA, but wouldn't their bulk, weight and recoil be largely comparable?

graylion

29-Jun

arguably yes. 40mm is quite a bit more powerful of course

RovingPedant

29-Jun

The Mk44 is about half in terms of weight, for the gun and ammo, compared to the CT40. How much of the feed mechanism and other equipment necessary for function you chose to include will affect that.

Bulk is harder to judge. In terms of ammunition the 30x173mm is narrower but longer than the 40x255mm, so as long as you have room for the length, you can fit twice as many 30x173mm into a serpentine feed path as you can 40x255mm. In terms of gun, the usual images used for comparison miss out a lot of the CT40 while including pretty much the whole of the Mk44, so the Mk44 is somewhat less bulky, but I couldn’t guess how much. 
It’s worth noting that most Mk44 installations hold a lot more rounds than any of the CT40 turrets.

The super 40 modification doesn’t really change that apart from pushing performance up to  closer to the CT40 levels.

renatohm

29-Jun

Thanks for the info!