autogun

Military Guns and Ammunition

Hosted by autogun

This is intended for people interested in the subject of military guns and their ammunition, with emphasis on automatic weapons, particularly in larger calibres (12.7+mm).

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

NGSW evaluation update   Small Arms <20mm

Started 31-Jul by autogun; 2849 views.
autogun

31-Jul

An interesting article on TFB about progress with testing the NGSW contenders, including interviews with the evaluators. First is the headline pic of the contenders, followed by some extracts and comments.

Points of interest:

"The target audience for these capabilities [of the NGSW] are what the Army has defined as the Close Combat Force. This consists of line Infantry, scouts, engineers, front line medics and forward observers from the Artillery. This represents about 10% of the Army, whose task it is to close with the enemy and destroy.”

Mr. Walker said NGSW can be seen as a very targeted capability, a specific tool for a specific role “kind of like mechanic in the motor pool gets certain tools.”

As I expected, the NGSW carbine will not be replacing the M4, it will be for the sharp end infantrymen, so it everyone else will keep the M4 as a kind of PDW.

TFB: Moving away from the environmental considerations, NGSW-AR has been positioned as a replacement for the M249 SAW, but with 6.8mm GP potentially outperforming M80A1 and XM1158 in terms of velocity and penetration. Will it also replace the 7.62x51mm M240?

Walker: “There’s an awful lot of discussion about that. When we talk about the range and energy at range and the ability to make use of that energy against a target, 6.8 GP is definitely showing itself to be pretty capable of being competitive against the 240 machine gun.

Again as expected, it is predictable that the 6.8 mm is going to outperform the 7.62 mm at long range, so it will eventually replace the 7.62 mm more than the 5.56 mm.

So maybe we’ll replace the 240, or maybe there’s another program down the line that’s a more robust approach, perhaps a little heavier, a little bit longer barrel, maybe weighs a few pounds more… and maybe we would be able to go to a common cartridge for the entire platoon, which obviously, logistically would be beneficial.

Indeed it would - although not, of course, the kind of GPC I had in mind!

• Edited 31 July 2020 4:17  by  autogun
QuintusO

31-Jul

I want to be smug about being right, but too many of my predictions came true and I can't decide which one I want to crow about.

RovingPedant

31-Jul

I’d like the look of the GD one more if they hadn’t stuck a potato on the front of it.

QuintusO

31-Jul

Agreed, though the Brevis is one of the best suppressors out there. The RM277 would just look so much better with an OSS.

• Edited 31 July 2020 9:54  by  QuintusO
Moose (Beomoose)

31-Jul

Wonder if a more Photoshop-inclined poster could 'shop the Smuzzle onto GD's weapon to give us an idea of what that combo would look like.

nincomp

31-Jul

RovingPedant said...

I’d like the look of the GD one more if they hadn’t stuck a potato on the front of it.

Think of it as clever camouflage.  I mean, who feels threatened when they see a potato aimed at them? :)

Farmplinker

31-Jul

"I can't believe I'm rooting for the bullpup"was a good one.

And I agree with you.

stancrist

31-Jul

RovingPedant said:

Ditto.  But, a more visually-appealing suppressor wouldn't help with other aspects of the design.

- Bullpup configuration.

- Stock not adjustable for LOP.

- Magazine-fed automatic rifle.

I may be proven wrong, but I just don't see the US Army adopting a bullpup rifle, let alone going back to WWII firepower standards with a squad auto fed by 20-round magazines.

M1918 Browning Automatic Rifle (BAR) - YouTube

gatnerd

31-Jul

"I may be proven wrong, but I just don't see the US Army adopting a bullpup rifle, let alone going back to WWII firepower standards with a squad auto fed by 20-round magazines."

When I talked to TV at SHOT last year, they mentioned that the .277TV can be adapted to other weapons fairly easily; specifically the SIG 6.8 LMG. 

As such, I could see a situation where the GD bullpup is selected for the rifle, while the SIG 6.8 LMG is selected, but chambered in the same .277TV. 

stancrist

1-Aug

gatnerd said:

I could see a situation where the GD bullpup is selected for the rifle, while the SIG 6.8 LMG is selected, but chambered in the same .277TV.

That is possible, but -- to quote from the article -- “Right now, the plan is to choose the rifle and automatic rifle from the same vendor."