gatnerd

Military Guns and Ammunition

Hosted by gatnerd

This is intended for people interested in the subject of military guns and their ammunition, with emphasis on automatic weapons.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

NGSW evaluation update   Small Arms <20mm

Started 7/31/20 by autogun; 16415 views.
QuintusO

8/1/20

I see that I'll have to do a "reverse" weight reduction plan to show how stupid this all is.

Farmplinker

8/1/20

Usually, LMG=belt-fed and/or quick-change barrel; AR= mag-fed and "fixed" barrel. That's my personal rough and dirty definitions. YMMV.

stancrist

8/1/20

RovingPedant said:

I quite like the aesthetics of a bullpup rifle, so that’s not a negative for me.

Ditto.  Personally, I love the bullpup concept.  I'm just skeptical that the US Army will go for it.

RovingPedant said:

Someone would have to remind me on the difference between a Light Machine Gun and an Automatic Rifle...

I'm not sure if there is a consensus.  When talking about modern weapons, I see it basically the same as Farmplinker:

LMG = belt-fed

AR = mag-fed

RovingPedant said:

I’ve never been convinced that LOP is an issue for flat-topped rifles with long sight rails.

I don't know if it actually would be a problem or not.  But it looks like it could be, depending on the optic used.

General Dynamics Ordnance and Tactical Systems RM-277 - Maryland ...

In reply toRe: msg 14
QuintusO

8/1/20

Assumptions are 140 rounds per gun for all the NGSW rifles, 1,000 rounds per gun for the NGSW belt feds, and 220 rounds per gun for the GDOTS mag-fed AR.

• Edited August 1, 2020 6:36 pm  by  QuintusO
renatohm

8/1/20

You posted the reduced load elsewhere but I can't remember it - memory isn't what it once was...

taschoene

8/1/20

So is it accurate that most of the weight savings for the GDOTS combo comes from a sharply reduced ammo load for the AR/LMG?  

How are the Marines loading up their AR gunners with the M27?  Just a 30% increase like you're calculating for the GDOTS AR?  

QuintusO

8/1/20

taschoene said:

So is it accurate that most of the weight savings for the GDOTS combo comes from a sharply reduced ammo load for the AR/LMG?  

Yes. I have them carrying 1,420 rounds per squad, instead of 2,980 rounds for the other two.

taschoene said:

How are the Marines loading up their AR gunners with the M27?  Just a 30% increase like you're calculating for the GDOTS AR?  

Correct. 11 magazines (330 rounds for the M27, 220 rounds for the GDOTS NGSW-AR).

• Edited August 1, 2020 6:38 pm  by  QuintusO
stancrist

8/1/20

QuintusO said:

Assumptions are 140 rounds per gun for all the NGSW rifles, 1,000 rounds per gun for the NGSW belt feds, and 220 rounds per gun for the GDOTS mag-fed AR.

GIGO.  Your assumed ammo loads may be quite different from the actual ammo loads.

renatohm

8/1/20

Thanks for this!