autogun

Military Guns and Ammunition

Hosted by autogun

This is intended for people interested in the subject of military guns and their ammunition, with emphasis on automatic weapons, particularly in larger calibres (12.7+mm).

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Knight`s LAMG?    General Military Discussion

Started 31-Jul by manimal87; 531 views.
manimal87

31-Jul

Hey guys.... I have a question... I've read about the new KAC machine guns.... So the 5.56 mm is called LAMG (light assault machine gun) and the 7.62x51 is called LW-AMG (lightweight assault machine gun) ( on their homepage just "AMG"). 

Now my question.... With that fancy name "assault machine gun" can they BOTH the 5.56 and 7.62x51 version be classified as Light machine guns (LMG) or fall into that category? 

QuintusO

31-Jul

Sure, call em what you like.

manimal87

31-Jul

Yeah... That for sure... I mean by strict term... we got GPMGs which can also be used or be classified as LMGs in particular configuration. And we got ground up build LMGs for that specific role. 

By that means... The KAC 7.62x 51 and 5.56mm LW-AMG and LAMG version are both "LMG" by strictly term or classification?

By example... Nobody would call a SCAR17 an assault rifle... It's a battle rifle ^^

renatohm

31-Jul

Nomenclature wars...

Ask 'how it's called?' to people from different countries, or even different branches of the same country, and you'll get different answers.

manimal87

31-Jul

I get you... I just mean generally the 7.62x51 KAC LW-AMG could be categorized as an LMG right? 

renatohm

31-Jul

Probably yes.

stancrist

31-Jul

manimal87 said:

my question.... With that fancy name "assault machine gun" can they BOTH the 5.56 and 7.62x51 version be classified as Light machine guns (LMG) or fall into that category?

Since both appear to have no provision for mounting on tripod, pedestal, etc, it would seem accurate to classify them as LMGs.

AMG - Knight's Armament

gatnerd

1-Aug

manimal87 said:

Hey guys.... I have a question... I've read about the new KAC machine guns.... So the 5.56 mm is called LAMG (light assault machine gun) and the 7.62x51 is called LW-AMG (lightweight assault machine gun) ( on their homepage just "AMG").  Now my question.... With that fancy name "assault machine gun" can they BOTH the 5.56 and 7.62x51 version be classified as Light machine guns (LMG) or fall into that category? 

Yes, they are both LMG's. Basically any lightweight machine gun thats carried at the Squad level, and fired primarily from a bipod, can fall into the LMG family. The 5.56 M249 and 7.62 MK48 are both LMG's, for example. 

I believe the term 'assault machine gun' comes from a SOCOM contract for their 6.5C LMG. Knights likely chose the name to appeal to that contract.

https://soldiersystems.net/wp-content/uploads/2020/05/img_8125-1536x859.jpg

Previously, the 5.56 LAMG was known as the 'Stoner LMG.'

poliorcetes

1-Aug

I wonder if this product is going to be adopted in numbers