autogun

Military Guns and Ammunition

Hosted by autogun

This is intended for people interested in the subject of military guns and their ammunition, with emphasis on automatic weapons, particularly in larger calibres (12.7+mm).

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

What is the US Army up to?   Ammunition <20mm

Started 8-Aug by autogun; 4409 views.
stancrist

20-Aug

roguetechie said:

I actually quite like the idea of a machine pistol with better than SMG performance and think that a case can be made for something like that which exists as a complementary system to a handgun that it shares ammo and suppressors with or etc. There's no question that something like this is eminently doable, the real question is would it be beneficial to pursue this avenue?

All the necessary technology and pieces are in place for a mini MP Renaissance though, and I kinda want to see it pursued. Especially since there's no question In my mind that something inherently better and more suited for modern combat etc would be a trivial ask if people could be convinced not to force it to be in 9x19.

I rather like that idea, too.  But, since western armies seem quite satisfied with 9x19, getting anyone to develop that "inherently better" something seems not such a trivial ask.

roguetechie

20-Aug

This is very much the case yes. As much as it dashes my dreams of gloriously zippy and high capacity mini MP's spitting torrents of m855a1 projectile style 7 or 7.92mm rounds I've accepted that the will is just not there to make pistols and MP's I a truly modern smaller caliber but more deadly round.

Red7272

21-Aug

roguetechie said:

This is very much the case yes. As much as it dashes my dreams of gloriously zippy and high capacity mini MP's spitting torrents of m855a1 projectile style 7 or 7.92mm rounds I've accepted that the will is just not there to make pistols and MP's I a truly modern smaller caliber but more deadly round.

I think that FN did themselves a major disservice by linking the 5.7x28 to the P90. With a 10 mm case head and an OAL closer to 33 mm, it would have been a better match to everything but the P90 magazine. It's a neat little round but impractical for a lot of hands and magazine in butt designs

In reply toRe: msg 82
RovingPedant

21-Aug

My take is that an M4 is a decent enough PDW if you have a large number of them in service with an established logistics chain.

If you were starting from scratch, I would suggest something different, but that would depend on what you want it for and what else you have on hand.

roguetechie

21-Aug

Yep. 

I've seen a number of notional designs I'd be quite happy to take instead of an M4, but nothing that's currently In production strikes me as that much if any at all of an upgrade.

In reply toRe: msg 77
Mr. T (MrT4)

21-Aug

Big issue with many braces on pistol kits is poor usability of a Red dot sight that is one single piece of gear that will aid most in making hits.

Red dots on pistol can be on the rear of the slide but on a short brace they would need to be much closer to the front as you cant realy get a good picture with the sight in your face , same problem with pistol irons when using a brace.

roguetechie

21-Aug

So then you're effectively in a position where you have to decide whether to make your sights work best with one or the other.

Not necessarily a deal breaker but not ideal with

Red7272

21-Aug

roguetechie said:

Not necessarily a deal breaker but not ideal with

Laser pointer &/or a flip up aperture linked to the rail being extended would work. Possibly do the same thing with the settings on the optical sight based on if the stock is retracted or extended. 

roguetechie

21-Aug

Yep you could definitely do something like that. Though I feel like if you're going to take it that far you may as well go for some crazy Robinson magic and have a giggle switch.

Farmplinker

21-Aug

Are you suggesting a 12" 7.62 NATO wouldn't be a good PDW?stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye