autogun

Military Guns and Ammunition

Hosted by autogun

This is intended for people interested in the subject of military guns and their ammunition, with emphasis on automatic weapons, particularly in larger calibres (12.7+mm).

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

RPL-20 "Miracle Belt Fed"   Small Arms <20mm

Started 21-Aug by QuintusO; 2769 views.
QuintusO

21-Aug

I'm having an internet outage right now so I can't post the photos, but Vlad Onokoy posted some pics on FB of a new Russian belt fed LMG called "RPL-20", which he told me has a "drop out shove in" belt box system. I'm a little annoyed because I was working on just such a thing myself, and those conniving Russkis got to it before me! Anyway, my guess is they are basically integrating the top cover into every belt box, which is sort of a "gordian knot" solution to the problem (and probably fairly heavy, but who knows).

Excited to learn more about this gun.

roguetechie

21-Aug

Here's the pictures...

If the Russians beat us to a quick change belt box I'm gonna be pissed!

Farmplinker

21-Aug

"War's off, boys. The Russkys got better LMGs than us."

Civilian version when?

In reply toRe: msg 1
QuintusO

21-Aug

Apparently (can't even be bothered to check my own website, I find) this thing weighs 5.2 kg with a "short" (I read: ~16", based on Russian precedent) barrel. That's 11.5 pounds.

Certainly puts the yankees on notice, if nothing else!

roguetechie

21-Aug

So they've basically got their own better LAMG

QuintusO

21-Aug

Yeah, looks like it.

And good riddance, too.

In reply toRe: msg 6
Mr. T (MrT4)

22-Aug

EmericD

22-Aug

Looks very similar to something FN Herstal developed for SOCOM...

EDIT :

just have a look at FN Herstal patents number

EP3477239A1, EP3477241A1, EP3477242A1, EP3477243A1

• Edited 22 August 2020 8:16  by  EmericD
Mr. T (MrT4)

22-Aug

Ultimately in MGs form mostly follows function.

Although on this one, there seems gas system and feed is inverted in comparison to typical MG , with solid top that tilts forward on a hinge .. Will be interesting to see the guts . Seems all new russian guns follow this layout . Will be interesting to see how the belt feed is executed

roguetechie

22-Aug

I'm having some issues pulling all of them up do you think you could throw Google Patent links up for all but the first one?

Btw. I'm not disputing that we can do at least as good if not better. At one point we were well on our way to doing so, and then everything just STOPPED.

And now we have FN making $30,000 kinda trash "lightened" m240's (and now working on doing the same terrible bastardization to make "lightweight m2's")

What's extremely aggravating is they couldn't even do a good job at that. We have visual evidence in the form or Barrett's much more sane implementation of the utter foolishness that is updating 60+ year old base designs to show us just how bad of a job they actually did.

Between that and the fact that they couldn't even manage to get the mk48 anywhere close to it's ludicrously low bar of a design life round count...

Call me not just unimpressed but extremely frustrated that what they're doing is in any way considered good enough.

After looking at the gun in the patent i could access my genuine feeling is "that's nice dear" (grandma's way of saying cool story bro)

Really it's more than that though, you showing me that shows me that they can in fact do much better and they just aren't because they're choosing to coast and reap insane profit margins off guns they know are hot dogshit because tgey can convince idiots to buy them.

Them convincing people to go down what is pretty emphatically the wrong route Actually makes me more mad at what I'm seeing not less.

It's frankly inexcusable.