autogun

Military Guns and Ammunition

Hosted by autogun

This is intended for people interested in the subject of military guns and their ammunition, with emphasis on automatic weapons, particularly in larger calibres (12.7+mm).

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

5.56 Lethality   Small Arms <20mm

Started 27-Aug by QuintusO; 2377 views. (Closed)(Closed to new replies)
QuintusO

27-Aug

So... Nobody has any doubts anymore, right?

autogun

28-Aug

I have yet to read any independent evaluation of the lethality in combat of M855A1 in a range of different circumstances, so I can't comment on that.

M855A1 is of no practical interest to most other NATO nations, anyway, due to Geneva Convention concerns. As far as I am aware, no new ammunition types have been fielded by such countries, so the situation won't have changed.

So I expect we'll have to wait for the next protracted conflict involving NATO infantry to get a clearer understanding of the subject.

Refleks

28-Aug

Has any information been released as to what ammunition was used?

gatnerd

28-Aug

Based on the 3rd guys arm, I believe its the new 5.56 Federal 'Sharkbite' load. 

In reply toRe: msg 4
gatnerd

28-Aug

In reply toRe: msg 1
zragon13

28-Aug

I get that this topic is actually in reference to the Kenosha Kid or M855A1, but for those interested in general lethality of 5.56 ammo, here is dramatic security cam video of an Israeli border policeman (19 yr old) that shoots a 30 yr old Arab man (with M193 I assume) that stabbed him last week in  Jerusalem's Old City.

The entire event takes 5 seconds. Note how the other policemen react. Good response from the stabbed policeman.

IMO, he is also alive due to the fence and inexperience of the attacker.
https://www.mako.co.il/news-military/2020_q3/Article-d6eb36b098df371027.htm

• Edited 28 August 2020 9:26  by  zragon13
EmericD

28-Aug

gatnerd said:

For those out of the loop:

So, it's the same kind of "demonstration" Anders Breivik already did in 2011?

stancrist

28-Aug

QuintusO said:

So... Nobody has any doubts anymore, right?

So... A head shot with 5.56 at near-contact distance was lethal.  Is that supposed to remove doubts about 5.56 lethality?

JPeelen

28-Aug

Those offering a different view, will only be showered by your "Now keep in mind, youngling ..." type of response (this example addressed gatnerd). There is in my view no chance of having a civilized discussion with you.

You destroy the interest in your broad knowledge and often well founded opinions by showing nothing but contempt for all who do not share your point of view unconditionally. Yor sporadic whining about "Why does everyone hate me?" is off the mark. Nobody hates you. Just very few  are willing to suffer your condescending style.       

Farmplinker

28-Aug

The people pushing 6.8 Bleedmoor do, despite the "level IV+ plates" smokescreen.