gatnerd

Military Guns and Ammunition

Hosted by gatnerd

This is intended for people interested in the subject of military guns and their ammunition, with emphasis on automatic weapons.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

LMAO Germany adopts an AR-15   Small Arms <20mm

Started 14/9/20 by QuintusO; 107885 views.
schnuersi

1-Jun

graylion said:

well, also, frontline warships. The F125 colonial cruisers

or colonial cruise ship.

graylion said:

b) have what capability exactly?

and the F126 which, capability-wise seem to be a rejig of the F125, with optional modular ASW capability which sounds a lot like "if we have to, I guess". Germany needs an attitude adjustment.

My knowledge of things naval is rather limited. But I also from looking at stats get the feeling that German firgates tend to be underarmed.

I had to oportunity to visit the museum ship destroyer Smaland in Göteborg last year. Its rather small compared to the frigates and is allmost entirely weapons.

graylion said:

I saw something about people volunteering as reservists more due to the war? How common is that?

I have no data. But from my personal experience and observation this effect seems negectable. Most of the reserves are people around my age with previous service time and experience. It has been more than two decades since my active service time. There are rather few "reserve only" volunteers. The vast majority are people who left active service and changed to reserve service. The reserve also is very top heavy. Serving as reserve officer is pretty attractive. While being reserve enlisted or NCO less so.

autogun

1-Jun

schnuersi said:

I had to oportunity to visit the museum ship destroyer Smaland in Göteborg last year. Its rather small compared to the frigates and is allmost entirely weapons.

I've visited that one too. 2 x 2 120mm, 1 x 2 57mm, several single 40 mm, and anti-submarine rockets. All of them made by Bofors.

schnuersi

1-Jun

autogun said:

I've visited that one too. 2 x 2 120mm, 1 x 2 57mm, several single 40 mm, and anti-submarine rockets. All of them made by Bofors.

Its a really nice museum and an intresting ship. We had a good time there.

The tw0 120 mm twins alone have more throw weight per minute than basically any modern warship.