autogun

Military Guns and Ammunition

Hosted by autogun

This is intended for people interested in the subject of military guns and their ammunition, with emphasis on automatic weapons.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

aim control enhancer   Small Arms <20mm

Started 28-Jan by poliorcetes; 2875 views.
poliorcetes

29-Jan

Thanks, hombre

And there is a nice ergonomic improvement included in the patent:

roguetechie

29-Jan

Yeah, there's a surprising amount of crossover between the professional cameramen, film industry, and firearms industry.

The darpa third arm thing as well as the original steadicam rig all sorta have applications in both worlds.

There's more than a few ways to accomplish this general goal and the optimal way will change between exact application.

This makes it a pretty wide market space for several products to exist and start evolving in individual niches which should result in rapid development pace

In reply toRe: msg 8
gatnerd

6-Feb

This was shared on ARFCOM today by one of the inventors

https://www.ar15.com/forums/General/The-Army-is-testing-a-piece-of-SOCOM-s-Iron-Man-suit-for-its-next-generation-squad-weapon/5-2422969/?page=1#i90937424

All better than you'd think.  On an M4, you're looking at 4-5 hours of active use on 2xCR123A, depending on a few things.  They've been burried in sand, temp shocked, salt fogged, submerged in water, and dropped a few hundred times onto concrete, both on and off a weapon.  We've had them out at the range at -20F and 110F.  There are test units that have 10k+ rounds through them on everything from an M4 to a SCAR-H.  There's been some pretty serious R&D into these areas.

Thanks guys!  It's really neat to turn a hobby into a job.  Working with TALOS and NGSW has been a dream.

We were planning to unveil this at SHOT this year before it was canceled.

There are two of us who have developed it to this point under DoD guidance.  I'm the electronics and gun guy, and a buddy does the mechanical side.  I like to think he has the hard job now with all of the environmental stuff.

As to performance, I'll direct you to the articles - 60%-80% reduction in wobble pattern size in some people.  I find a silhouette at 400-500 yds to be a pretty easy standing, unsupported shot with an M4 and the device.  The whole point was to allow people to shoot well when fatigued, full of adrenaline, and breathing hard

roguetechie

6-Feb

Yeah, this is a deceptively big deal.

It's also something that is going to be helpful to literally everyone...

There's very clearly some potential improvements that could be made but even as is this is a device to keep an eye on due to how potentially disruptive of a technology this is.

JPeelen

7-Feb

All we know so far is the claim of a 60-80 percent wobble reduction in SOME people. What counts would be the effective improvement  for AVERAGE users.

Re-plenishing two CR123A batteries to every user for every 4-5 hours of use seems also not exactly a trivial task to me. Not even considering the cost of this quite expensive type of battery.

While a device that reduces wobbling in unsupported aiming would of course be very welcome, we need to know more about the improvement for the average shooter.         

gatnerd

7-Feb

JPeelen said:

Re-plenishing two CR123A batteries to every user for every 4-5 hours of use seems also not exactly a trivial task to me. Not even considering the cost of this quite expensive type of battery.

Thats actually pretty good; a typical weapon light only lasts 1hr. IR laser/Illuminators last 1-5hrs depending on model and power.

An interesting comment on ARFCOM was the potential for this tech used in a super stabilized bipod. Curious how that would work for a LMG in reducing dispersion. 

dobrodan

7-Feb

How many hours do you usually actively aim a gun in a month?

That being said, I think the barrel, magazine and receiver should be stabilized within a soft-mount, including foregrip, pistol-grip and butt-stock.

Maybe not fully stabilized, but letting the core-mechanism pivot inside the soft-mount.

Not only would that probably use less batteries, stabilization would most likely be more accurate as well, due to less mass to be stabilized, and more counter-mass.

roguetechie

8-Feb

So there's two things you're off base on here.

1. The phenomena this particular device works to mitigate is UNIVERSAL, it's a literal condition induced by the kinematics of humans holding and trying to point a gun like object accurately.

2. This device isn't always on, since it's essentially only on while you're actively triggering it and using it that 4-5 hours of operation could represent anything from 20 hours of hard urban combat to 20 days of patrolling some bumfuck afghanistan province on daily sweeps where you don't even have cause to even look down your optic to try to identify whether that farmer has an ak or a garden tool more than a couple times in a given 6 hour sweep patrol.

With what we know right now about this thing, including from the patent documentation itself, the battery life doesn't seem inadequate at all.

roguetechie

8-Feb

That was something I've been kinda hinting at all along.

Now imagine tying this in with the Israeli anti drone optic and rifle mod system...

There's some incredibly interesting and useful things you could potentially do with this right down to targeted automation controlled long range bursts of fire that are freakishly more accurate than they'd be otherwise.

roguetechie

8-Feb

That's Actually exactly where this technology started at...

Remember the aimlock "bullpup m4 chassis".

That's one of the things that chassis was doing using a set of microactuators in the ass end of the chassis.