autogun

Military Guns and Ammunition

Hosted by autogun

This is intended for people interested in the subject of military guns and their ammunition, with emphasis on automatic weapons.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

New book - Infantry Weapons & Ammunition   Small Arms <20mm

Started 11-Feb by autogun; 866 views.
autogun

11-Feb

I have just had a new book published: Infantry Weapons & Ammunition: A Century of Development. It basically consists of a compilation of articles and presentations which have previously featured in some form on my website, suitably updated. There is more information about the book and how to buy it on my website.

My reason for publishing this material is to preserve it. While I hope to be looking after my website for a good few years yet, when I finally check out my website will disappear shortly afterwards, so I am taking precautions!

stancrist

11-Feb

Congratulations, Tony!  That's a prudent "precaution" to take.  ;^)

I had hoped to get my book on US Army infantry weapons and ammunition development published before I check out, but it looks like that ain't gonna happen.

autogun

12-Feb

Thanks Stan.

Cover pic: 

poliorcetes

12-Feb

Hey, Stan and Autogun. It's nice to take precautions, but stop talking so much about checking out. Old theologist said that we are not entitled for defining limits to Divine Providence :)

I haven't finished my book on the same topic of Tony (although trying to be more divulgative and in Spanish). 4 years of delay and counting

But we are alive. That's what counts. This community still is and I appreciate it everyday. Thank you all for all that I learned here.

I'm specially aware about "checking out" topic. My PhD dissertation was focused on its contemporary evolution, but it was anthropological theory and practice. Last november I lost my mother because of COVID-19, and there was no more theory or fieldwork but a turmoiling void. Now I'm trying to enjoy positive things at their right and precise moment.

renatohm

12-Feb

I'm very sorry for your loss.

I hope you are doing well!

stancrist

12-Feb

Poli,

My condolences on the passing of your mother.

As for talking about checking out, it's something that a prudent person will consider because it isn't a matter of if it will happen, only how and when.  Nobody gets out of life alive.   ;^)

As for my book, I actually completed it in late 2008, and had it accepted by a publisher.  Unfortunately, my timing was poor, because a couple weeks later the editor gave me the bad news that -- due to the economic downturn at that time -- they had decided to not take on any new projects.  Before I could find another publisher, my health took a severe downturn, forcing me to move into a nursing home/assisted living facility.  For several years afterwards, I was much too ill to pursue the book project.

After surgery in 2015 fixed the major health issue, I would've been physically able to take up the project again, but by then, a big part of my book had become outdated -- and pretty much irrelevant -- after the US Army dropped its quest for the OICW and OCSW.  It would been necessary to rewrite those portions, and create new chapters on NGSW and other developments of the past decade.  That might not be too bad by itself, but I have another, perhaps insurmountable problem.

When I moved into this facility, my brother generously decided to replace my old computer with a brand new PC.  Only trouble is, although he had my files copied into the new computer, the .wps text files are apparently incompatible with the new software, because they display as unreadable gibberish.  So, I don't know if it's even possible to recover the original manuscript in a format that I can use.  I do know it is well beyond my limited computer skills.  Right now, all I have are eight pages that I mocked up in .jpg format, as a sample to submit to prospective publishers.

• Edited 13 February 2021 12:43  by  stancrist
JPeelen

12-Feb

As far as I know, files having extension .wps were created by MS Works. According to information on the Internet, MS Word as well as Libre Office are able to read the .wps format. Probably you need some assistance by a person experienced in the word processor field to set this incompatibility straight. 

Considering the amount of work you invested, in my view you should consider to find someone to assist you in recovering your work, because there seems to be a realistic chance for success.     

stancrist

12-Feb

Thanks for the info.

tidusyuki

13-Feb

Sorry for your lost. May she rest in peace. Goodluck on your book!

tidusyuki

13-Feb

Any reason why you decided to give the honor not to one but to three 416/7 german wonder gun for the cover of your book? :)