autogun

Military Guns and Ammunition

Hosted by autogun

This is intended for people interested in the subject of military guns and their ammunition, with emphasis on automatic weapons.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

The Foresight War Revisited: small arms   Novel: The Foresight War

Started 16-Feb by autogun; 5405 views.
Mr. T (MrT4)

20-Feb

I don't think side mag is much of a problem, it's likely more practical than either top or bottom one when it comes to prone shooting.

autogun

20-Feb

Refleks said:

What are you thinking if not side mounted? On top like a light bren, traditional forward like FAL, or bullpup like RFB?

Not on top - would probably conflict with all the stuff which gets attached to P-rails

taschoene

20-Feb

In the context of the Foresight stories, are P-rails really a serious concern?  Seems like a bit of precision machining that isn't really necessary.  If you want to add optics (which will remain fairly rare given the limits on optics manufacturing capacity in this era), a side mount could work, like the telescopic sight mount on the Bren.

Jeff (Jefffar)

20-Feb

I have to agree.

What sort of modular accessories are we talking here?

No image intensifiers and nightvision systems. No lasers or red dots.  Scopes are rare and expensive.  Flashlights are large, heavy and dim. Rifle grenades and cup dischargers replace UBGL.

Basically all that's left are ergonomic accessories.

dobrodan

20-Feb

Well, there is one very well established cartridge, that would have done the job pretty flawlessly, allowed larger mag-capacity, longer range, flatter trajectory, less recoil, and not least consumed less resources, and that is the 6.5 x 55 Swedish.

6.5×55mm Swedish | Military Wiki | Fandom (wikia.org)

Refleks

20-Feb

I can see the utility being a standard attachment point for gun manufacturers and scope mount designers, it wouldn't need to be full length like modern ones.  

As far as scopes being rare and expensive, it's just a matter of priorities. If any major nation wanted a "rugged enough" ~3.5x PU like scope as standard for all riflemen, it could be done with concerted effort and expansion of infrastructure.  Unfortunately that's a hard sell prior to war footing, even if common wisdom at the time recognized the benefits.

• Edited 20 February 2021 15:11  by  Refleks
autogun

21-Feb

taschoene said:

In the context of the Foresight stories, are P-rails really a serious concern?  

You are right - I was being a bit dozy. What I should have said was that the top-mounted magazine got in the way of the sight line. Yes, you can mount the sights to look past the magazine (as in the Bren) but that makes it very difficult to use left-handed (or impossible, as in the Bren). 

Also, don't forget that we are talking here of an automatic rifle rather than an LMG (an FG 42, in effect). There were several LMGs which had top-mounted magazines, but I can't offhand think of any successful rifles.

autogun

21-Feb

dobrodan said:

Well, there is one very well established cartridge, that would have done the job pretty flawlessly, allowed larger mag-capacity, longer range, flatter trajectory, less recoil, and not least consumed less resources, and that is the 6.5 x 55 Swedish

The 6.5mm Swedish was arguably the best MG/sniper round to have seen extensive service. However, it has a big case - wider as well as longer than the 7.62x51 NATO - so there's little in the way of weight saving. According to some figures I have, it weighs 23 g with a 9 g bullet: the 7.62 x 51 weighs around 24 g (M80 ball); the .276 Pedersen appears to be around 19-20 g. In terms of recoil energy when fired from rifles of the same weight, the Pedersen is roughly 50% of the 7.62x51.

Farmplinker

21-Feb

Well, not to be pessimistic, but I could easily see your British FG-42 ending up chambered for the original .276 cartridge, the one the P14 was supposed to be in. "The Paras and Marines need to engage the enemy at the longest possible range, old boy".

autogun

21-Feb

Farmplinker said:

Well, not to be pessimistic, but I could easily see your British FG-42 ending up chambered for the original .276 cartridge, the one the P14 was supposed to be in. "The Paras and Marines need to engage the enemy at the longest possible range, old boy".

Over Don's dead body!