autogun

Military Guns and Ammunition

Hosted by autogun

This is intended for people interested in the subject of military guns and their ammunition, with emphasis on automatic weapons.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Suppressed MG for APC?   Small Arms <20mm

Started 5-Mar by graylion; 782 views.
graylion

5-Mar

This just occurred to me. If you were recce troops driving around in an APC, would a suppressed HMG on your APC not be useful to have? I know it won't be completely silent due to the supersonic crack, but you'd also not be thundering your presence across the hills ...

And yes, I know that the suppressor for an HMG would have to be ginormeous, but it could be over barrel and you have a vehicle to drive it around ...

Mad ideas dept reporting in again

• Edited 05 March 2021 15:24  by  graylion
dobrodan

5-Mar

Maybe suppressed GMGs would be even better. No supersonic crack from those...

taschoene

5-Mar

Seems to me that if a recce unit is shooting at something, they must have already been spotted.  Because the usual idea is to NOT shoot at stuff unless you have no alternatives.  

I doubt the state of the art in HMG suppressors is all that helpful for the purpose you describe, anyway.  The USN and USMC are looking at suppressors for their M2s, but the goal is to get them down from more than 160 dB to less than 140dB.  That's enough to reduce hearing damage to the gun crews, but not so quiet that the guns won't still be very noticeable on the battlefield.

stancrist

5-Mar

graylion said:

This just occurred to me. If you were recce troops driving around in an APC, would a suppressed HMG on your APC not be useful to have? I know it won't be completely silent due to the supersonic crack, but you'd also not be thundering your presence across the hills ...

IMO, a suppressed HMG would probably be of very little value. 

I can think of only two reasons for recce troops to be shooting:

* In response to enemy fire -- in which case the enemy already is aware of their position.

* Conducting "recon by fire" -- in which case they are trying to draw fire on their position.

However, it might be worth doing, as it could be good to have in some tactical situations.

https://youtu.be/5JCfYGatagE?t=180

graylion

5-Mar

That's a surprisingly small suppressor. This makes me hopeful that a bigger suppressor might have more effect. OTOP I have a hard time believing that this thing has any effect at all on a 50 BMG - it has a lot of gas that has to expand.

ZailC

5-Mar

Virtually anything that keeps the noise level down will improve command and control while improving situational awareness. Both short-term and long-term hearing impairment needs to be avoided as much as possible. Effectively deaf soldiers are of little value. 

Redleg02

6-Mar

Suppressors help reduce the chance that an enemy can locate the firer's location accurately.

stancrist

6-Mar

Remember, we're not talking about camouflaged infantry.

We're talking about scout vehicles doing a recon mission.

Suppressor or not, a moving APC isn't very difficult to see.

https://youtu.be/h0Eut90Nmvs?t=1

And it's even easier to locate when running on dry ground.

https://youtu.be/Ldtcg-mG7Nk?t=1

In reply toRe: msg 8
Mr. T (MrT4)

6-Mar

Not to mention that its job is more or less being taken over by drones . Today's risk and casualty-averse militaries will not be sending out recce vehicles in the same way as it was done in the past. 

poliorcetes

7-Mar

In Spanish army recon tasks are conducted on foot and on recce vehicles, and such tasks are greatly amplified using drones. It would have not sense to avoid using microUAVs as much as you can, but OTOH intelligence gathering cannot be conducted avoiding the field entirelly