gatnerd

Military Guns and Ammunition

Hosted by gatnerd

This is intended for people interested in the subject of military guns and their ammunition, with emphasis on automatic weapons.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

UK military spending review   General Military Discussion

Started 13/3/21 by autogun; 12597 views.
PRM2

5/6/21

Another slightly ridiculous use of MOTS is for 'Modified Off The Shelf', although more specifically for software development - a good example of an oxymoron! It is also an example of an acronym meaning something different, dependent upon which project you are working on.

In reply toRe: msg 28
DavidPawley

5/6/21

The software design syllabus I teach refers to MOTS as modified off the shelf which bugs me no end.

Worse is that it refers to COTS as customised off the shelf. FFS people.

nincomp

6/6/21

Believe me, I understand the frustration.  Years ago I worked in a building that housed numerous US Government agencies.  Each had its own set of acronyms, many of which used the same letters meaning different things (DOD seemed particularly popular, for some reason).  I could almost swear that the motto was "All acronyms, all the time."   At least it provided some entertainment since my coworkers and I spent a fair amount of time coming up with entertaining or off-color phrases to match the acronyms' letters.

DavidPawley

1/7/21

AJAX should be cancelled, it’s been a train wreck since TRACER.https://twitter.com/nicholadrummond/status/1410509736433401856?s=20

autogun

2/7/21

I regard the UK's record (and probably other nations too, but I'm less familiar with them) of consistent failure in acquiring new equipment with a kind of horrified fascination.

I have a suspicion that with highly complex new systems, so many different firms get involved that there is no-one who has a overall grip of what is going on, or is held accountable when it fails.

I can understand problems occurring with cutting-edge, high tech and therefore high risk projects, but a medium-weight tracked AFV? How can anyone mess that up so badly, then keep carrying on with it as if everything's OK?

Farmplinker

2/7/21

What's the one variant of Praeto's Law? 

80% of the cost comes from the last 20% of performance. For a while, people have been demanding that last little bit of performance, and then wonder why they can't afford it.

hobbes154

6/7/21

Working for a different country's government in a totally different field, this is depressingly familiar.

When I started working for a bureaucracy, I was prepared for it to be evil and/or corrupt (in fact part of me was kind of hoping for it in a voyeuristic way, and was disappointed not to find it).

What I wasn't prepared for was the total lack of respect for any kind of subject matter or technical knowledge. The only skillset that is valued is that of the generalist manager, and the only way to move up is to change jobs every few years to be well rounded. Anyone who actually knows anything about content rather than process is either from a previous generation or sacrificing promotion to do something they enjoy. In engineering terms I guess it is like trying to build a complex machine made only out of screws and bolts, or running a vehicle with only lubricant but no fuel.

From what I have seen and read from the outside military procurement and big private companies more or less work the same way. Luckily most of my jobs have been in less critical fields.

The only places you can expect competence are where there are immediate consequences for things going wrong. Big defense projects last longer than the average manager's or minister's tenure in office, so...

In reply toRe: msg 35
autogun

15/7/21

An update - everything is either fine or will be soon..... confused

• Edited 16 July 2021 5:00  by  autogun
nincomp

15/7/21

Gee, that is the most comforting post I have seen in a long time.

Of course, my first thought was  " That's nice...  I wonder what thread this is?  Oh, UK spending."