gatnerd

Military Guns and Ammunition

Hosted by gatnerd

This is intended for people interested in the subject of military guns and their ammunition, with emphasis on automatic weapons.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

UK military spending review   General Military Discussion

Started 13/3/21 by autogun; 13905 views.
DavidPawley

8-Jun

RovingPedant said:

The IFV based on the same chassis and offered to the Land 400 phase 3 programme managed 6 dismounts, if I recall correctly - still not enough and likely one of the reasons it failed, but that's no reflection on Ajax's performance it it's planned roles.

Hahahahahaha.

Requirement is for 8+3, what kind of moron tenders a 6+3 vehicle?

Anyway, I've had it with you digging deep to defend MoD's litany of failure against the perceived criticism of an off-hand prediction.

DavidPawley

8-Jun

RovingPedant said:

A Scimitar with a bit more firepower, a lot more protection, much better sensors and considerably more interior space.

And more vibration. And hull sides different lengths. And welds that have gaps in them. And a turret that fails reliability testing. And more...

schnuersi

8-Jun

DavidPawley said:

And welds that have gaps in them.

Seriously? How did they manage to do that? This is such a basic thing if this isn't done right it can be safely assumed nothing is.

RovingPedant

8-Jun

schnuersi said...

Seriously? How did they manage to do that? This is such a basic thing if this isn't done right it can be safely assumed nothing is.

It's entirely possible that someone isn't aware of stitch welding. I seem to recall mention that the spacing in some of the stitch welded parts were irregular, but that's kind of a different thing.

schnuersi

8-Jun

RovingPedant said:

It's entirely possible that someone isn't aware of stitch welding.

This is possible but unlikely.
Usually allmost all parts of an AFV are seam wealded. Only this way it will be gas and water tight. Also the load and potential stress on most parts require it.

RovingPedant

8-Jun

schnuersi said...

This is possible but unlikely.
Usually allmost all parts of an AFV are seam wealded. Only this way it will be gas and water tight. Also the load and potential stress on most parts require it.

Any joints that have a sealing or ballistic function yes. Seam welded and on both sides. 

Internal or external stiffening ribs or welds which do not have sealing or ballistic functions are often stitched to reduce the heat and residual stress put into the structure.

DavidPawley

8-Jun

No, it was just shitty workmanship and no QA, not stitch welding.

The hulls were not within spec and that's why they weren't accepted.

Running gear couldn't be installed because hull out of true is one complaint I recall.

DavidPawley

8-Jun

schnuersi said:

if this isn't done right it can be safely assumed nothing is.

Correct.

graylion

9-Jun

DavidPawley said:

No, it was just shitty workmanship and no QA, not stitch welding. The hulls were not within spec and that's why they weren't accepted. Running gear couldn't be installed because hull out of true is one complaint I recall.

where were they built?

DavidPawley

9-Jun

Spain. Shipped to UK to be mated to other components.