gatnerd

Military Guns and Ammunition

Hosted by gatnerd

This is intended for people interested in the subject of military guns and their ammunition, with emphasis on automatic weapons.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

8mm Mauser SMKH AP test - serious penetration   Ammunition <20mm

Started 17-Oct by gatnerd; 1630 views.
gatnerd

17-Oct

Buffman has just done a test of the 8mm Mauser SMKH AP tungsten core load, and the results were extremely impressive. Not only was the round defeating Level IV at 100yds, the holes it made were quite clean, indicating that it was minimally slowed on its way through the plate. Potentially we will see a 200yd test.

I Did Not See That Coming!!! World War II German Ammo vs. Modern Body Armor

A big thank you to @The Mosin Crate !Test Item(s): Model 98 Sporterized, 24" barrelRounds Used:7.92x57mm (8mm Mauser), SMKH, tungsten coreArmor used: LAP...

And for those who are on their phones and cant watch the video (Although please watch and like/subscribe Buffmans vids as he does a ton of tests and thats the only way he makes ad money from these.)

This load absolutely outperformed Buffman's prior tests of M993. 

And potentially gives hopes to a 6.8 NGSW AP projectile actually being viably AP, in that clearly some rounds are capable of defeating level IV at 100yd and beyond. While 6.8 will have a lighter projectile/core, the 6.8s core may be comparably long or longer.

Overall, very impressive performance for a load from WW2. 

EmericD

17-Oct

According to the video, the core is 22.5 mm long, versus 20 mm for the M993.

Combined with a pretty serious MV from that 24" barrel (and 4800 J at the muzzle!) and probably good BC due to sectional density (0.265 lbs/in² when the M993 is only 0.193 lbs/in²), that could explain the observed result.

The tungsten core of the S.m.K.H is heavier than the whole M993 bullet...

smg762

17-Oct

If one had a 6.8 with 30mm long core...it should come close to this

Why do you think it outperforms m993 if their are so similar

gatnerd

18-Oct

EmericD said:

Combined with a pretty serious MV from that 24" barrel (and 4800 J at the muzzle!)

Yes, I was shocked by the velocity and energy - I hadn't realized 8mm Mauser was such a beastly cartridge. Thats around .300 Win Mag levels of velocity/energy for a 200gr. 

When I was 12, my buddies dad took us all shooting. This was back when I was purely a BB gun owner. Anyway ,along with the .22's, he brought a WW2 vintage 8mm Mauser. I guess for his own amusement at our reactions to firing that thing. Now I know it was more than youthful inexperience that accounted for the terrific recoil on that thing ;-)

EmericD

18-Oct

gatnerd said:

Yes, I was shocked by the velocity and energy - I hadn't realized 8mm Mauser was such a beastly cartridge. Thats around .300 Win Mag levels of velocity/energy for a 200gr. 

The load of 3.6 g of powder is pretty heavy, but you should be able to put around 4.5 g of powder in a .300 Win Mag with such a short bullet.

You could probably duplicate the S.m.K.H performances with a pulled DM151 bullet (151 gr, 0.22 C7 BC) loaded in a .30-06.

Hodgdon lists a lot of powders that could be used to achieve a MV above 900 m/s (and up to 953 m/s) with a 155 gr bullet and a 24" barrel.

stancrist

18-Oct

gatnerd said:

And potentially gives hopes to a 6.8 NGSW AP projectile actually being viably AP, in that clearly some rounds are capable of defeating level IV at 100yd and beyond.

When fired from a 24" barrel.  What does it do from a barrel half as long?

• Edited 18 October 2021 5:05  by  stancrist
poliorcetes

18-Oct

And now we can visualize better the importance of a long barrel ( == more Vo) than ever, and what it is paid for a short barrel and a supressor. General Dynamics / beretta design was the one that answered better this part of the problem, but bullpup is verbotten and also that absurd automatic rifle...

Besides, forward extraction of CT design could offer a nice base for a bullpup design. warm cases would be expelled past the trigger and not so violently

smg762

18-Oct

what are your thoughts on an assault rifle with 4800J energy, and then using a heavily reciprocating stock (like FG42)....or barrel....to remove the recoil. practical?

EmericD

18-Oct

stancrist said:

When fired from a 24" barrel.  What does it do from a barrel half as long?

They use absurdly high pressure to get the same velocity (>2850 fps) from absurdly short barrels ?