gatnerd

Military Guns and Ammunition

Hosted by gatnerd

This is intended for people interested in the subject of military guns and their ammunition, with emphasis on automatic weapons.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Poland deploying LMP-2017 60mm Commando Mortars    Army Guns 20+mm

Started 27/10/21 by gatnerd; 1041 views.
gatnerd

27/10/21

Mr. T (MrT4) said:

Years ago i got to handle the Czech original and fire some practice rounds .

Very cool! Not too many people I imagine have that experience.

How did you find aiming? Does it seem like something that would be capable of firing fairly accurately? 

In reply toRe: msg 6
gatnerd

27/10/21

Some info on the standard polish O-LM60 round that the LMP-2017 fires.

2kg shell, 1500+ fragments, 15m lethal radius. 

And from a Polish wikipedia:

The basic O-LM60 grenade exceeds the weight of similar foreign missiles and is characterized by a high density of shrapnel coverage [1] . Between the explosive (TNT) and the shell, fragmenting into approx. 300 pieces, there are 1500 steel balls, 4 mm in diameter, embedded in plastic, which increase the fragmentation effect [1] . The ammunition is not compatible with NATO standard ammunition (60.7 mm mortars) [1] .

https://pl.wikipedia.org/wiki/60_mm_mo%C5%BAdzierz_LM-60D

Further confirmation would be cool if the mortar does indeed use a pre-fragmented design. If so, thats not as perfect as the SAAB MAPAM, but is superior in design to a traditional cast iron mortar shell.

For example this Bulgarian mortar shell designed for Commando mortars reps having 600 fragments:

https://bulcomersks.com/military-products/ammunition/mortar-rounds/60mm-mortar-round-ar-m60-6/

Not sure how other 60mm's compare. 

renatohm

27/10/21

15m kill radius and 2.3 km range.

Pin them down at 1 km with NGSW then send some 60 mm mortars on them.

Sounds nice on the right end, and very bad to be on the receiving end.

renatohm

27/10/21

Brazil still uses the legacy 13 kg Brandt mortar, even at 8 kg this one would save enough weight to get two additional rounds.

gatnerd

27/10/21

renatohm said:

Pin them down at 1 km with NGSW then send some 60 mm mortars on them.

Absolutely. That was broadly my idea for dealing with body armor - focus on lightweight FA weapons to pin down enemy troops, and then use Squad and Platoon level HE to take them out. 

In terms of launcher and shell weight, thats a great point that the lighter mortar = more shells.

60mm is nice in that it offers a good bang to weight ratio:

LMP-2017 = 16.53lbs

60mm Shell = 4.4lbs

x5 = 22lbs

=38.53lbs for LMP + 5x rounds

Carl Gustav M4= 14.55lbs

Aimpoint FCS13RE = 3.53lbs

HE 441D Airburst = 6.83lbs

x3= 20.5lbs

= 38.53lbs for M4 CG w/ FCU + 3x rounds

So vs the CG, you also gain +2 shells. Although the CG is almost certainly more accurate. 

RovingPedant

27/10/21

I’d hazard that the mortar throws a greater proportion of its round weight at the enemy too.

Mr. T (MrT4)

27/10/21

Honestly felt good enough for 'hand held' use , but would never consider it if they also had a bipod for more stabilty.  Can't imagine accurate fires at 1000m

stancrist

27/10/21

What's the purpose of the HE frangible round?

stancrist

27/10/21

renatohm said:

15m kill radius

Kill radius or casualty radius?

stancrist

27/10/21

gatnerd said:

1500 steel balls, 4 mm in diameter

4mm is smaller diameter than the pellets fired from my nephew's BB gun.  neutral_face