gatnerd

Military Guns and Ammunition

Hosted by gatnerd

This is intended for people interested in the subject of military guns and their ammunition, with emphasis on automatic weapons.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

XM915 20mm debuted    Aircraft Guns

Started 21-Nov by gatnerd; 5581 views.
roguetechie

27-Nov

So what you're saying is if someone invented a bicopter flying hand grenade and started producing them en masse we'd be in trouble?

Im not going to dig through my saved images for it but the chicoms we're showing exactly that at zhuhai this year and from what I could see they looked cheap and cheerful enough to be a real problem even before I saw the pictures of the launch canisters that they can loft them with.

From the looks of it they've optimized these little shits to be worryingly cheap and to be used in swarms.

By making a canister launch version technically they can even go cheaper and lower swap c on the motors for extended flight time/engagement range and just plain the ability to put up a much denser net of them

poliorcetes

29-Nov

As more and more “almost-ESAPI” Chinese plates are being bought by non-state agressive actors of all kinds, more and more sUAS will be bought by the same. China doesn’t need to launch locust-like swarms of sUAS against any Western country. It’s just needed to offer them capable and dirt-cheap UAS components. Software is already on the wild as it is open source.

I envision a tragic Pearl Harbour-like event in which a small swarm of drones causes a catastrophe in human lives, material damage and national moral. It will happen either in Europe or against a NATO mission somewhere. After that, politicians will rally and security forces will be forced to stop the EW wishful thinking of stopping sUAS just cutting RC links in 2.4Ghz or GPS jamming them. Both land forces and civilian police and security will ask for quick solution as they did, for instance, when suddenly they realized that MRAP were needed when the IED grows.

Nowadays in most of Western countries we are in denial of such events, just because they have never happened in Europe or north of Rio Grande. Investments in other C-sUAS resources are ridicule, and just thinking in layers of C-sUAS resources is beyond acceptability.

poliorcetes

29-Nov

I would say that such sUAS are just not enough off-the-shelves and cheap. The red line is defined by a total cost lower than the cost of a 155mm round

autogun

30-Nov

You don't need a military UAS to cause chaos in civilian activities. You don't even need a drone - just a report of one. See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gatwick_Airport_drone_incident

poliorcetes

30-Nov

Actually I'm researching on weaponization of off-the-shelves small UAS. The threat is quite dire and sooner or later there will be a Pearl Harbour-like moment in continental Europe

stancrist

30-Nov

A "Pearl Harbour-like moment" doesn't seem to have the same meaning it once did.

PRM2

30-Nov

I couldn't agree more, unless the drones are autonomous and relatively sophisticated, they will be very vulnerable to RF noise jamming (the inverse square law really comes in handy here), if deployed against any advanced force. If you are really sneaky you may even be able to get the drone to release its payload on launch and kill the bad actors.

Where drones may cause a 'Pearl Harbour' like moment is an attack on a high value unprepared soft target, let's hope that precautions are in hand.

In reply toRe: msg 47
Farmplinker

30-Nov

A couple of the right electric substations hit could make things unpleasant.

renatohm

30-Nov

Saudi ARAMCO?

gatnerd

1-Dec

PRM2 said:

I couldn't agree more, unless the drones are autonomous and relatively sophisticated, they will be very vulnerable to RF noise jamming (the inverse square law really comes in handy here), if deployed against any advanced force

I would be concerned that the future drone design would operate like a HARM anti radar missile, where it automatically homes in on and attacks the source of the jamming signal.