gatnerd

Military Guns and Ammunition

Hosted by gatnerd

This is intended for people interested in the subject of military guns and their ammunition, with emphasis on automatic weapons.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

.30 Super / 8mm Super pistol cartridge   Ammunition <20mm

Started 5/1/22 by gatnerd; 11354 views.
In reply toRe: msg 31
gatnerd

17-Nov

Some more .30SC info. 

Velocity is lower than the initial specs; it seems Federal is loading the cartridge below its initial 50kpsi limit.

Ballistic performance however looks quite good, even out of a 3.1" barrel. Results are nearly identical to 9x19.

https://general-cartridge.com/2022/11/14/federal-30-super-carry-100gr-hst-in-vyse-ballistics-gel/

Federal .30 Super Carry 100gr HST in Vyse Ballistics Gel

Testing Federal .30 Super Carry 100gr HST in Vyse Ballistics GelSmith & Wesson Shield PlusClick link for full test. https://general-cartridge.com/?p=3631

The question that remains is mag capacity.

.30 SC is able to give a 10 shot subcompact 9mm a 13rd capacity.

Will a 17rd 9mm mag hold 20 (the same +3) or will it hold even more due to the increase in length?

roguetechie

20-Nov

It'll definitely hold more in a full size and I love my shield plus currently.

It fits in my pocket just like my g26 did even with the dot and tlr6. I haven't taken a picture of my gun since I put on the tlr but I effectively have a g17 that fits in my front jeans pocket.

most importantly it rings steel so hard it blew the plate clean off the tree it was hung on. It's an excellent little gun. It's also g48 thin and fits the hand quite well.

Recoil is a little poppy compared to say a Glock 19 but still extremely serviceable and capable of being rapid fired off hand from an odd position without trying to escape your hands.

gatnerd

20-Nov

roguetechie said:

It'll definitely hold more in a full size and I love my shield plus currently. It fits in my pocket just like my g26 did even with the dot and tlr6. I haven't taken a picture of my gun since I put on the tlr but I effectively have a g17 that fits in my front jeans pocket.

Awesome, is that a Shield in .30SC?

Its remarkable how technology has shifted these last 10 years. Shield was introduced in 2012, as a staggered single stack with a 7+1 capacity and irons. Now in 2022, it's 13+1 and has a RDS, in nearly the exact same size. 

I'm impressed you're able to make that work in a front pocket, much less with a dot as well. What type of jeans are you wearing?

A J-frame is the biggest I've managed to get to work in my front pocket, and thats in fairly loose jeans. 

roguetechie

21-Nov

That's a shield plus with a holosun 507k on it.

13+1 in super carry and I carry two 16's in a back pocket and my cellphone in my other back pocket.

As far as jeans go I wear a lot of Costco jeans and work pants that aren't slim fit but aren't terribly baggy. I get them in a 30 or 32 waist even though I'm closer to a 29 so I can iwb when I need to.

However at work I wear a tool belt all day and iwb with a tool belt is hell so that's why I pocket carry.

It's still accessible but out of the way and not snagging on my up to 20 pound tool belt.

I just use a sticky holsters pocket holster for it which isn't great but isn't bad. Since it has no manual safety it's very important to my continued health and wellbeing for it to not snag on shit etc.

Another thing to consider is I live in a constitutional carry state so like nobody cares if I print?

I don't really print but nobody would care if I did.

Just making sure you know that my solution may not work for everyone.

Im Also a short skinny guy so iwb carrying a g19 or larger sized pistol is a pita.

gatnerd

21-Nov

roguetechie said:

13+1 in super carry and I carry two 16's in a back pocket and my cellphone in my other back pocket.

That sounds like a great setup, and a lot of firepower in a pocket sized package. I currently carry a 5-shot 340 J-frame - with no reloads - which is as much as I've been able to manage in my own pockets. So I'm very impressed with what you've managed there. 

With the spare mags, the mag capacity advantage of 30SC really scales - now you're essentially +9x rounds vs the same setup in 9mm. 

Hoping 30SC makes it to Quickload soon so we can see just what the caliber is capable of when loaded to full pressure. 

In reply toRe: msg 37
gatnerd

22-Nov

So on another forum, another member has done some testing on 30SC mag capacity gains by stuffing 30's into 9mm mags to see how many can fit.

This confirms that 30 SC capacity gains will increase with mag length.

10-15rd 9mm mag = +3 30SC

17-18rd 9mm mag = +4 30SC

Now the question is at what lengths we will see +5 and +6? 

Rogue, if you have a 19rd or 33rd Glock mag lying around, can you try stuffing them with 30's to see how many fit?

The rounds will fallout of the feed lips, so the above poster had simply kept their thumb over the rounds in between inserting them. I suspect using a Maglula loader would be even better.

stancrist

22-Nov

gatnerd said:

So on another forum, another member has done some testing on 30SC mag capacity gains by stuffing 30's into 9mm mags to see how many can fit.

This confirms that 30 SC capacity gains will increase with mag length.

10-15rd 9mm mag = +3 30SC

17-18rd 9mm mag = +4 30SC

Now the question is at what lengths we will see +5 and +6?

Rogue, if you have a 19rd or 33rd Glock mag lying around, can you try stuffing them with 30's to see how many fit?

I don't understand how you can possibly expect to get an accurate determination of the increase in mag capacity achievable with extended .30 SC mags, by putting .30 SC cartridges into 9mm mags???

The smaller diameter rounds will not stack properly in the wider internal space of mags dimensioned for 9mm cartridges, and will give a false result making the gain seem greater than it actually would be with a mag sized for .30 SC.

If you want an accurate figure, just use arithmetic and calculate the increase for mags of the desired length.

roguetechie

22-Nov

Currently the biggest 9 mags I have are 17 round Glock mags sadly. I'll order a bigger mag to try it out on though.

The possibility that really excites me is the potential for true double stack double feed in a Glock sized magwell. Super carry is just enough smaller diameter that in theory you should be able to it with all metal mags!

At that point you'd be gaining big round counts quickly.

Even if your feed lip interface was only 1.5 or 1.66 stagger stack and your slide always picks up off one feed lip, you'd still be gaining a bunch of capacity!

Even better would be a true double stack a la gsh18 or Glock 46 but I doubt we'll see that unless someone does a super carry subgun or etc.

That will be where you'd see the real eye popped numbers.

gatnerd

22-Nov

Yes I had thought a full double feed double stack, such as used in the Steyr GB or FN FSN, would allow squeezing in an extra round. 

I hadn’t realized the G46 used a new mag style?

Of course for that to happen we’ll need to see a dedicated 30SC gun produced, rather then just 9mms rechambered in 30.

Appreciate you trying out some other Glock mags. 

stancrist

23-Nov

gatnerd said:

Appreciate you trying out some other Glock mags.

I am very curious as to the rationale for wanting to fill 9mm magazines with .30 SC rounds?

It seems completely pointless, considering the small diameter cases will not stack properly.

Or am I missing something?  confused