gatnerd

Military Guns and Ammunition

Hosted by gatnerd

This is intended for people interested in the subject of military guns and their ammunition, with emphasis on automatic weapons.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Senop Thermal Fire Control Unit for Carl Gustaf    Army Guns 20+mm

Started 25-Jan by gatnerd; 6424 views.
gatnerd

25-Jan

The Carl Gustaf M4 has previously been shown, and is now fielded by the US, with the Aimpoint Fire Control Unit:

https://www.aimpoint.com/products/product-series/fcs13re-demo-videos

Now Senop has come out with a similar 'smart scope' but that adds thermal imaging capability, all while weighing 1.5kg.

https://www.armyrecognition.com/weapons_defence_industry_military_technology_uk/senop_has_develop_advanced_fire_control_device_thermal_imager_for_carl_gustaf_weapon_system.html

Being able to use the CG at night with a FCU seems a worthy upgrade.

Ideally the next iteration will be a FCU with electronic trigger linkage ala Tracking Point / SMASH 2000. This would allow the CG to 'lock on' to a moving target, then automatically fire when the sight determines that the round would be able to hit the moving target. 

Such a sight would allow near guided projectile level of hit probability at a fraction of the munition cost - I'm surprised it dosnt exist already. 

Farmplinker

25-Jan

Maybe they're working on the tracking system even as we post?

stancrist

25-Jan

Using the Carl Gustaf at night seems a bit like putting up a big neon sign at the gunner's position that says... 

HEY, ENEMY GUYS.  HERE I AM.  PLEASE SHOOT ME.

renatohm

25-Jan

Confined spaces munitions would have a smaller visual report?

stancrist

26-Jan

Judge for yourself.  AT4-CS Training (af.mil)

• Edited 26 January 2022 0:29  by  stancrist
gatnerd

26-Jan

stancrist said:

Using the Carl Gustaf at night seems a bit like putting up a big neon sign at the gunner's position that says...

Against a modern force with night vision and especially thermal equipment, I'm curious how much traditional things like muzzle flash will matter? 

Under thermal, even a basic rifle firing with a suppressor that eliminates visible muzzle flash will begin to glow like a beacon:

gatnerd

26-Jan

Farmplinker said:

Maybe they're working on the tracking system even as we post

Hopefully, it seems like the most useful application for such a system (far more useful then a smart scope for a rifle). 

stancrist

26-Jan

gatnerd said:

Against a modern force with night vision and especially thermal equipment, I'm curious how much traditional things like muzzle flash will matter? 

Under thermal, even a basic rifle firing with a suppressor that eliminates visible muzzle flash will begin to glow like a beacon:

I may be wrong, but it seems to me that one of these might be a bit more noticeable than the other.

dobrodan

30-Jan

The 84mm is not really that noticeable at night. Sure, there is a little flash, but not as extreme as in the photos, as the camera use high ISO, long shutter-time, wide "light opening" or a combination of those, to be able to take such a picture at all.

The 84mm is actually more noticeable in the day, as it creates a noticeable cloud of dust when firing.

Still, it is not a good idea to shoot it standing up or kneeling, when you should be prone.

No, it is not very pleasant to fire it, but really not that bad either, and you get a nice, warm, fuzzy feeling inside of you. And even more so for the loader, being much closer to the nozzle and the back-blast.