gatnerd

Military Guns and Ammunition

Hosted by gatnerd

This is intended for people interested in the subject of military guns and their ammunition, with emphasis on automatic weapons.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Ukraine weapons thread   General Military Discussion

Started 24/2/22 by gatnerd; 186584 views.
gatnerd

6-Oct

Latest US Aid to Ukraine. Most interesting item is the 1000x 155mm RAAM anti tank mines.

https://man.fas.org/dod-101/sys/land/raam.htm

taschoene

6-Oct

gatnerd said:

Latest US Aid to Ukraine. Most interesting item is the 1000x 155mm RAAM anti tank mines.

Ukraine clearly sees value in being able to channelize or disrupt Russian vehicle movements with artillery-delivered mines.  They've been deploying AT2s from some version on MLRS/HIMARS for at least a few weeks now.

https://twitter.com/osinttechnical/status/1573844577575993344

Farmplinker

6-Oct

"WARRIORS, WHAT IS BEST IN LIFE"?laughing

gatnerd

7-Oct

Interesting behind the scenes action in the quest to source more Soviet caliber ammo for Ukraine:

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/pakistan-ukraine-and-the-race-for-third-party-ammunition

gatnerd

8-Oct

• Edited 09 October 2022 5:20  by  gatnerd
EmericD

8-Oct

gatnerd said:

Possible use of a fairly massive SVBIED against the Kerch bridge:

Or some sailor from the "Moskva" forget to properly extinguish his cigarette again.

Farmplinker

8-Oct

The Moskva sounded like it was run by certain US Navy officers...... like the ones on Bon Homme Richard.

I'm starting to think the Nordstream explosions were just industrial accidents, not economic warfare.

stancrist

8-Oct

gatnerd said:

Possible use of a fairly massive SVBIED...

I wonder if future historians will refer to this as the Acronym Era.

Such an incident used to be described simply as a truck bomb.

Then came the acronyms like IED (Improvised Explosive Device)

That was soon followed by VBIED (Vehicle Borne Improvised Explosive Device).

Now we have the SVBIED (Suicide Vehicle Borne Improvised Explosive Device).

However, Fox News' Sean Insanity once objected to calling perpetrators of such attacks "suicide bombers" and said they should be called "homicide murderers" instead.

So, to honor Sean's great intellect, I propose a new acronym for attacks like the Kerch bridge:  HMVBIED (Homicide Murderer Vehicle Borne Improvised Explosive Device).  sunglasses

graylion

8-Oct

stancrist said:

However, Fox News' Sean Insanity once objected to calling perpetrators of such attacks "suicide bombers" and said they should be called "homicide murderers" instead.

Inanity you mean? ;)

gatnerd

9-Oct

Fantastic WSJ article on the HIMARS, with on the ground coverage with some of the UA operators.

https://archive.ph/G42wy

Lots of cool stuff, but the dispersed ammo logistics I found was the most fascinating:

The simple, containerized 6 shot cartridges allows them to just stash reloads all over the forest, and pick them up when needed. This means that there is no central ammo dump to destroy, nor is there some 'HIMARS HQ' for them to be tracked down at. 

Nice video of how the HIMARS is able to reload itself with its little integral crane.

How The HIMARS Gets Reloaded

Video shows how the High Mobility Artillery Rocket System (HIMARS) of the United State Marine Corps gets reloaded.The Ultimate Military Archive covers events...

As its a precision guided 200lb warhead ~ equivalent to a Small Diameter Bomb, each 6 shot cartridge is pretty devastating, more akin to an airstrike than an artillery barrage. And with a 50 mile range, they can basically serve as a short range airforce. 

I suspect HIMARS and weapons like it will form a key part of the arsenal of smaller countries looking to resist invasion, as it offers quite a lot of bang for the buck in a very survivable package. 

The main issue for these other countries I suspect will be getting as accurate targeting data and communications as Ukraine has been able to with NATO intel + Starlink.

• Edited 09 October 2022 4:00  by  gatnerd