gatnerd

Military Guns and Ammunition

Hosted by gatnerd

This is intended for people interested in the subject of military guns and their ammunition, with emphasis on automatic weapons.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Ukraine weapons thread   General Military Discussion

Started 24/2/22 by gatnerd; 459058 views.
renatohm

6-Nov

Trying to get 80% of the effects with a fraction of the costs?

Mr. T (MrT4)

6-Nov

There is nothing photoshoped out , of the pictures , these are civilian purchases on civilian market and unarmed till Ukrainans bolt or weld on something

stancrist

6-Nov

gatnerd said:

I wonder how this compares to just spraying the RPG in glue, and rolling them in ball bearings?

I suspect that approach might be more expensive and more difficult?

Something similar appears to have been done with this hand grenade:

Another possibility is to embed the ball bearings in a polymer matrix.

gatnerd

6-Nov

renatohm said:

Trying to get 80% of the effects with a fraction of the costs?

My concern is the frag sleeve is unlikely to evenly fragment. This is an issue even with factory produced scored steel bodies, much less craft produced ones. Frag sleeves also are limited to skilled production to make. 

The hope with the Glue n' BB option is that it would produce more reliable fragmentation (being pre formed fragments), while also being able to be produced by pretty much anyone. 

gatnerd

6-Nov

stancrist said:

Another possibility is to embed the ball bearings in a polymer matrix.

That would be ideal. If the weather is cold enough they could possibly use melted then hardened paraffin wax instead of polymer, allowing craft production. 

stancrist

7-Nov

gatnerd said:

The hope with the Glue n' BB option is that it would produce more reliable fragmentation (being pre formed fragments), while also being able to be produced by pretty much anyone.

I can't help wondering how true that last part is.  It seems to me that it would be rather challenging to get the ball bearings evenly distributed over the surface of the warhead.

However, I have no experience with anything remotely similar, so I may very well be wrong.

gatnerd

7-Nov

stancrist said:

I can't help wondering how true that last part is.  It seems to me that it would be rather challenging to get the ball bearings evenly distributed over the surface of the warhead

Probably an easier more reliable option would be afixing the BB's to a sheet of paper or plastic tarp (some thin flexible backer) cut to the right size for the RPG, and affixing the BB's to that sheet. 

1. Fill cookie sheet with BB's so BB's are a flush dense single layer across the sheet.

2. Cut sheet of paper to correct width and length to properly wrap RPG body 1 layer thick.

3. Coat piece of paper in 3M spray adhesive (strong, flexible, dries quickly)

4. Press adhesive side of paper into sheet of BB's firmly, making good contact. Let dry.

5. Hopefully sheet evenly coated with BB's. 

6. Spray RPG body with spray adhesive

7. Wrap BB frag sleeve around RPG, BB's facing out.

8. Wrap BB frag sleeve in protective wrap of self cling plastic wrap or other cover. 

Here's some decorative BB things glued to paper as part of a kids arts n crafts project as an example of what it might look like.

• Edited 07 November 2023 1:35  by  gatnerd
gatnerd

7-Nov

Another Russian ship has been severely damaged by SCALP-ER / Storm Shadow in Crimean port of Kerch.

These stealthy subsonic cruise missiles seem to be a challenge for Russia to detect and/or intercept. This could explain why theres been a general trend in stealthy subsonic missiles by the US / NATO rather than pursuing supersonic missiles, and gives me hope for the US reliance on JASSM / LRASM as a primary munition for defending Taiwan.

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/russian-warship-seen-badly-damaged-by-ukrainian-cruise-missile

Ship class attacked ($34 million price listed per ship seems very low?)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karakurt-class_corvette

Pretty dramatic video of missile arriving then series of explosions.

https://twitter.com/AirPowerNEW1/status/1721593564726173988

Missile seen plunging in from above right before flash of explosion.

Gr1ff1th

7-Nov

The issue with that idea is that it's possible for the fragments to be vaporized by the explosion instead of propelled outwards, that's mostly mitigated by simulation studies of the explosion, Ukrainian workshops probably don't have that hence why the frag sleeves for the RPGs are thick and square to ensure fragmentation 

renatohm

7-Nov

gatnerd said:

These stealthy subsonic cruise missiles seem to be a challenge for Russia to detect and/or intercept. This could explain why theres been a general trend in stealthy subsonic missiles by the US / NATO rather than pursuing supersonic missiles, and gives me hope for the US reliance on JASSM / LRASM as a primary munition for defending Taiwan.

Subsonic missiles do offer some advantages over hypersonics (US apparent hurdles in developing them notwithstanting):

• Lighter and less expensive to build
  • Better payload to overall mass ratio
  • Easier to fly nap of the Earth, using Earth's curvature to reduce reaction time

Calculations made at https://www.translatorscafe.com/unit-converter/en-US/calculator/radar-horizon/

That is, a JASSM flying low will be harder to defend against, in terms of maximum reaction time.

The geometric visibility above doesn't take into account factors as RCS and ECM.