gatnerd

Military Guns and Ammunition

Hosted by gatnerd

This is intended for people interested in the subject of military guns and their ammunition, with emphasis on automatic weapons.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Ukraine weapons thread   General Military Discussion

Started 24-Feb by gatnerd; 114178 views.
taschoene

23-Apr

schnuersi said:

Is this an SOP during peactime thing? Are these systems so unpredictable that they can't be left activated without endangering friendlies? Are naval commanders so concerned about their EM emmitions?

Yes, absolutely.  CIWS never goes into AUTO unless you're on a range or have confirmed missiles inbound.  (and confirmed can be hard, hence Stark's f'up in the Gulf.)

Yes.  See, for example, USS Jarrett in the first US-IRaq War.  They were in company with USS Missouri during a missile attack.  Their CIWS was in auto and it accidentally engaged a chaff cloud from Missouri and put four rounds into the other ship from a range of 5km.  

Yes, sometimes.  Probably not in Moskva's case, though,  It sounds like they were busy with another problem (the TB-2 drone) and the might not have seen the Neptune attack coming at all.

renatohm

23-Apr

If it works it ain't stupid

In reply toRe: msg 482
gatnerd

23-Apr

Excellent history and analysis of the war so far, and where it is likely headed:

https://static.rusi.org/special-report-202204-operation-z-web.pdf

There are a number of interesting technical details on weapons, making it relevant to this thread as well as general knowledge.

One interesting point is the number of western components in Russias PGM's; with sanctions in place replacing these components in the supply chain, or smuggling them into russia covertly, will become key to any resupply of these munitions for Russia.

In regards to ATGMS, these were credited as being highly effective, but Artillery was still cited as the primary killer:

In regards to RU equipment; 30mm cannons are cited numerous times in the article. 

In reply toRe: msg 483
gatnerd

23-Apr

Total US equipment sent:

Farmplinker

23-Apr

Another factor, electric primers. My cousin told me when they needed to load a Phalanx, all radios and radars were shut off; they could detonate primers if radiating.

schnuersi

24-Apr

Farmplinker said:

Another factor, electric primers. My cousin told me when they needed to load a Phalanx, all radios and radars were shut off; they could detonate primers if radiating.

This sounds to me like a serious shortcoming and design flaw.

DavidPawley

24-Apr

EM hazards are a known thing. It’s called HERO.

https://bit.ly/3KfAzoe

Phalanx ammo is electrically primed, just like most (all?) aviation gun systems.

schnuersi

24-Apr

DavidPawley said:

Phalanx ammo is electrically primed, just like most (all?) aviation gun systems.

So is the ammo for the 120 mm smoothbore... but tanks do not have to turn off their radios.
There also was no concern with close by radar from SPAA.
Aircraft don't switch off systems when they are carrying ammo for guns.

So from my point of view there are two possibilities. Either the safety meansures are way to cautios and interfere with the sensible operation of the system or the ammo for Phalanx is more sensitive than others and this would be a flaw.

In reply toRe: msg 488
gatnerd

24-Apr

Another fairly rare Javelin video. Interestingly the operators are using CZ Bren 2's with LPVO's.