gatnerd

Military Guns and Ammunition

Hosted by gatnerd

This is intended for people interested in the subject of military guns and their ammunition, with emphasis on automatic weapons.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Ukraine weapons thread   General Military Discussion

Started 24/2/22 by gatnerd; 161122 views.
taschoene

25-Apr

Be very suspicious of this image.  The reported provenance makes no sense -- it was supposedly done by a CSU90 sonar  on a  submarine, but CSU90 is a suite of sonars, none of which operate at the 800 kHz shown in the image.  

This looks like a typical HF side-scan sonar, but I'm fairly certain it's a photoshop.  For one thing, it's far too crisp.  For another, I think the scale is wrong.  The back section alone in this image is well over 200 meters, when the whole real-world ship is just 182 meters long.

Edit; Also, and a bit giveaway, there's nothing of the underwater hull visible.  Kind of embarrassing to miss something so obvious on the first look.

Edit 2: Confirmed to be a fake.  https://twitter.com/OAlexanderDK/status/1518618260165599234

Farmplinker

25-Apr

I need one of those for the farm's Gator!

nincomp

25-Apr

taschoene said:

Edit; Also, and a bit giveaway, there's nothing of the underwater hull visible. 

Good observation.  I wonder if somewhere on the interwebs one could find a comment like:  "Gee whiz, that explosion was so powerful that it blew the bottom of the hull clean off!"  astonished

• Edited 25 April 2022 15:30  by  nincomp
gatnerd

25-Apr

UA Weapons cache recovered by DPR forces. Shows an eclectic mix of everything from Stingers and Javs to Maxim's and .357 revolvers.

This further supports what was discussed earlier - theres quite a few of these Maxims floating around and still in service ;-)

gatnerd

25-Apr

I had thought we'd seen T90's earlier(?), but this claims to be the first citing of a T90M:

gatnerd

26-Apr

Sweden sending Archer SPGs:

https://twitter.com/TpyxaNews/status/1518670312455426054

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archer_Artillery_System

Per wikipedia, only 48 have been built, so this is quite the rare weapon.

gatnerd

26-Apr

Very cool Anti Tank mine being sent by Germany to Ukraine:

The PARM 2 incorporates an infra-red sensor, the SAPIR, which acts to accurately fire the rocket to ranges up to 100 meters. The warhead of the PARM 2 has been upgraded, with an armour penetration of 750 millimeters and a capability against reactive armour. It can be programmed to be active from between hours and 30 days.

Mr. T (MrT4)

26-Apr

One wonders how much of the supplied heavy weapons can actually be used in combat, heavy armor particularly anything tracked needs a bunch of maintenance to keep running and some of the supplied gear has not moved at all in a decade or so . On the other hand, there doesn't seem to be much in terms of logistics or recovery vehicles in the supplies. I reckon much of the gear will end up abandoned before they actually see any combat, same happened to Russian gear, all those abandoned vehicles did not end up abandoned without cause, many probably broke down.

I have seen 'our' tank clones of T72 that are now being donated and many of which haven't moved for the past 15 years, break down a lot when they were still fairly new  .a column would march 70km  on paved road and 10%+ broke down along the way, last time we sent the few that are operational to a Tank competition in Germany they couldn't fire any main gun ammo , it was not deemed safe as it was too old. Not to mention these tanks do not have a single T72 part on them and i doubt there is lot of compatibility in terms of parts.

Interestingly our upgraded T55S with 105mm cannon are not being considered, and they are probably the best T55 upgrade out there and likely better than any Leo1 that can be suplied from German stocks , more up to date in all aspects . They are also relatively fresh, upgraded in 1999 while the M-84 tanks being supplied were never modernized since they were made in late 80's .

graylion

26-Apr

Mr. T (MrT4) said:

On the other hand, there doesn't seem to be much in terms of logistics or recovery vehicles in the supplies. I reckon much of the gear will end up abandoned before they actually see any combat, same happened to Russian gear, all those abandoned vehicles did not end up abandoned without cause, many probably broke down.

I gather that Germany is sending 100 low-loaders for tanks to resolve some of those issues. @Schnuersi, do you know more?