gatnerd

Military Guns and Ammunition

Hosted by gatnerd

This is intended for people interested in the subject of military guns and their ammunition, with emphasis on automatic weapons.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Ukraine weapons thread   General Military Discussion

Started 24-Feb by gatnerd; 140602 views.
Mr. T (MrT4)

26-Apr

Looks like some of them were already found by locals in Ukraine after one of them killed a farmer on tractor

JPeelen

26-Apr

The German PARM means Panzerabwehr Richtmine: anit-tank directional mine. This name comes from very early designs actually firing an explosive formed projectile at the target. The design was changed to a HEAT warhead being fired at the target, but due to the unchanged employment, the name was kept.       

schnuersi

26-Apr

graylion said:

I gather that Germany is sending 100 low-loaders for tanks to resolve some of those issues. @Schnuersi, do you know more?

Germany is supplying logistics vehicles to Ukraine for some time allready.
No specifics though.

schnuersi

26-Apr

Mr. T (MrT4) said:

Looks like some of them were already found by locals in Ukraine after one of them killed a farmer on tractor

Very unlikely.
The one one the picture has not been deployed. Its new and unused.
The white cap in the mittle above the broad connector is a safety cap. Its has to be removed to ready the mine, connect it to the sensory circuit and arm it. If its still there the mine has not been armed.

Also the PARM is triggered by a wire sensor that is put over a road or track. Unless the farmer moved on a track secured by the Ukrainian military, on Ukrainian territory it seems very unlikely that a farmer in a tractor gets struck by one.
Unless of course the framer and his tractor where send down this track by Russian troops to "find" mines.

schnuersi

26-Apr

The big new today is that Germany will now supply Gepard SPAA to Ukraine.

Which means now the discussion about direct delivery of heavy weapons has come to an end: Germany is delivering and will train Ukrainian soldiers.

Mr. T (MrT4)

26-Apr

You can imagine one captured is not one that blew someone up ,no one claimed its the exact mine, in what scenario is a retreating force not leaving mines set up behind? and which tracks used by armor are not used by locals? Armor still mostly uses public roads ! 

schnuersi

26-Apr

Mr. T (MrT4) said:

You can imagine one captured is not one that blew someone up ,no one claimed its the exact mine

You wrote it was found. Which is not the same as caputed. Found suggests that it was found deployed and defused.

Mr. T (MrT4) said:

in what scenario is a retreating force not leaving mines set up behind?

That is pretty common. Its effective and simple. I would mine allmost every square meter of ground I would have to give up as long as I have mines and any perimeter of any defensive position. Mines are one of the most effective anti armor tools.

Mr. T (MrT4) said:

and which tracks used by armor are not used by locals?

In allmost any case. Especially this one. The Ukrainian locas would have fled and chances are high they are aware that mines have been planted. Since the locals that have not fled are actively involved in the defensive effort. The Russian invasion troops also do not allow the locals to move around as they please. So the story makes no sense. BTW where is any evidence? Pictures of the destroyed tractor? Witness reports? Anything substancial and at least half believable?

stancrist

26-Apr

schnuersi said:

Found suggests that it was found deployed and defused.

Nope.  It could just as well have been found undeployed, new and unused, left behind by soldiers as they hurriedly departed the area. 

There have been other stories of weapons and/or ammo found abandoned by Russians.  Mr. T's original comment was perfectly okay.

stancrist

26-Apr

taschoene said:

It's...a rocket with a HEAT warhead...

Yes, that's what I said.  sunglasses

-------------------------------

BTW, I was just attempting to make a little joke.  I learned many years ago about off-route mines.  Using a HEAT rocket in this manner was taught by the US Army during WW2 (see 18:21-18:45 in https://youtu.be/IRPsxgOozqk?t=1101 ). 

Nevertheless, it has always seemed rather silly to me for a remotely-fired rocket like PARM 2 to be called a "mine".

Msg 7993.527 deleted