gatnerd

Military Guns and Ammunition

Hosted by gatnerd

This is intended for people interested in the subject of military guns and their ammunition, with emphasis on automatic weapons.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Ukraine weapons thread   General Military Discussion

Started 24-Feb by gatnerd; 142417 views.
schnuersi

27-May

graylion said:

MARS for UA?

Its called MLRS in English. MARS is the German name. ;)

gatnerd

27-May

In the video, there’s a lot of FA fire right after the vehicle is struck; possibly engaging the dismounts or dis trying to suppress the AT team?

graylion

27-May

schnuersi said:

graylion said: MARS for UA? Its called MLRS in English. MARS is the German name. ;)

I know. But the wheeeled version is called HiMARS and since anything that launches multiple ballistic rockets in this conflict is called an MLRS, down to katyushas, I thought I'd try and be a bit more precise :o)

Mr. T (MrT4)

27-May

First picts of BMPT in action

graylion

27-May

is it me or are these a bit very close together?

gatnerd

27-May

Mad Maxim

schnuersi

28-May

graylion said:

is it me or are these a bit very close together?

On fist glance yes it looks that way but this could be missleading. Also the context is missing. As usual.

Maybe its a deliberate tactic.
It could be that the clearing is small and they want to get as much distance to the treeline as possible. It could be a new tactic to optimise the effectiveness of ADS with overlaping zones.
I also find the 3+2 ratio of MBTs and BMPTs intresting. A 3+1 or 4+1 ratio seemed more likely in the past.
It will be really intresting how the BMPT performs and what tactics and counter tactics will be used.

Mr. T (MrT4)

28-May

One thing they are probably already noticing in BMPT is an unusual armored beast with lots of firepower on paper but not many stowed kills per se not to mention its expensive BMPT supposedly cost 2x of a T90 , while much better armored than BMP without APS is still as vulnerable as a tank

BMP Berezhok Turret has one 30mm gun with 500rds, with elevation up to 75° and 4 Kornet ATGMS with 152mm diameter warhead, is actualy more powerful than the missile used in BMPT , not to mention Berezhok turret has a thermal channel in both sights as well, while BMPT likely doesn't have the same.  1x coax MG and 1x Grenade launcher

BMPT Packs 2x 30mm gun with elevation up to 45° , 850rds  and 4x 130mm Ataka ATGMS , only advantage ataka might have over kornet is against airborne targets as its a supersonic missile.

1 coax MG and 2 hull-mounted grenadelaunchers.

Algerian T62 with Berezhok turret once they uparmor it  kinda makes more sense as a budget BMPT than the original Russian  BMPT

Bushmaster wreck

https://t.me/ChDambiev/17155

DavidPawley

29-May

Bushmaster is a protected mobility vehicle- it really cannot stand up to KPV+ firepower, it’s STANAG 3. It’s no surprise that when lit up with AT weapons it gets K-killed. I hope the crew had enough time to bail out and casevac, it’s pretty hard to see any penetrations in that drive by.

schnuersi

29-May

Mr. T (MrT4) said:

with lots of firepower on paper but not many stowed kills per se

^^
With >800 rds 30 mm AC and hundreds of 30 mm AGS round plus thousands MG round it seems the vehicle has enough stored kills to depolulate a small town.

Mr. T (MrT4) said:

BMPT supposedly cost 2x of a T90

That is very questionable. Where is this cost increase supposed to come from? Since the BMPT is not any more sofisticated than the T90 it just carries different weapons it is to be expected that its about the same cost per unit.

Mr. T (MrT4) said:

only advantage ataka might have over kornet is against airborne targets as its a supersonic missile.

Seriously? Do you actually read any thing? Any form of research?
Ataka is superiour to Kornet in allmost any conceivable way. It has more range, higher speed and allmost twice the warhead size. The missile is allmost twice the weight and conciderably larger. Its like comparing TOW to a Hellfire.

The problem with the BMP turret is that it has no armor to speak of. The whole point of the BMPT is to get this level of firepower under MBT like armor protection so it can operate close to MBTs without being blown appart when somebody looks at it funny.
The question is if it works.
Also the grenade launchers are independent of the turret and have their own gunners. The theory is that this way multiple targets can be engaged or supressed at the same time. Never versions of the BMPT don't seem have these anymore though.