gatnerd

Military Guns and Ammunition

Hosted by gatnerd

This is intended for people interested in the subject of military guns and their ammunition, with emphasis on automatic weapons.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Ukraine weapons thread   General Military Discussion

Started 24/2/22 by gatnerd; 160035 views.
graylion

1-Jun

Mr. T (MrT4) said:

ATAMCS don't make much sense for Ukraine any ways, Himars, with 40 mile range on the other hand can play some front line ball , although note Ukraine had some 700 of their own MLRS when war started. 

It would be nice for some juicy behind the lines targets.

graylion

1-Jun

After repeated kicks up the backside Germany seems to be gettingb ready to fulfill its promises:

"Scholz further said that 12 Panzerhaubitze 2000 howitzers, which Germany is providing together with the Netherlands, will be supplied to Ukraine in the coming weeks, with training of Ukrainian soldiers on those artillery pieces to be completed “within days.” Germany will also send at least 15 units of Gepard air-defense tanks to Ukraine in July along with training."

as well as IRIS-T SL. How long will it take to train Ukrainians on that?

schnuersi

1-Jun

graylion said:

as well as IRIS-T SL. How long will it take to train Ukrainians on that?

That is the wrong question. The real question is when will this system be available. It is not in use by Bundeswehr. So these can not be handed over. They need to be build first. I heard it will take month.
The first batch of Gepards is scheduled for July.

graylion

1-Jun

So UA is getting the ones that were slanted to be delivered to the BW? Wow. Scholzmust have gotten some serious blowback. Also, the Poles are accusing DE to have broken their word on delivering Leo 2A4 in Ringtausch.

• Edited 01 June 2022 15:48  by  graylion
Mr. T (MrT4)

1-Jun

Germany is actually supplying the most albeit indirectly, just about every eastern European supply of armor was only possible after Germany promised to replace the donated soviet gear with German surplus gear no one really just gave away tanks and APCs. Its either US or Germany paying for it or in some cases UK.

Anyways at this pace, if the war doesn't wrap up soon there will be no Ukrainians left to arm and besides EU has to start filling the gas storage latest in August. Aside from the carnage in Donbas supposed Ukrainian offensive in Kherson is turning out to be an absolute meat grinder for Ukrainian military with no visible gains and horrendous losses.

Farmplinker

1-Jun

Become a dealer for Bula Defense!

Mr. T (MrT4)

1-Jun

Farmplinker said:

Bula Defense!

I am importing bunch of stuff from US ,but with most suppliers right now, nothing can be bought, no stock ,ETA unknown and i dont see the supply geting back to normal in less than a year or two. I have been reorienting a lot from US to sourcing as much as i can in Europe and now also got started with imports from South Africa , first run of chassis and suppressors is just being packed. 

For M14 Norinco looks like the best buy , years ago there vere a bunch of them imported and folks that bought theirs here are all quite satisfied with them. A friend of mine also runs an Norinco Ar15 clone extremely competitively in the European IPSC scene . Otherwise in terms of Surplus for us most available are Barreta BM59 which looks quite similar although not 100% the same as M14

schnuersi

1-Jun

graylion said:

So UA is getting the ones that were slanted to be delivered to the BW?

I have no idea. Never the less the systems are not existing yet and need to be build first.

graylion said:

Also, the Poles are accusing DE to have broken their word on delivering Leo 2A4 in Ringtausch.

Again it is a little more complicated. Germany wants to deliver Leo2A4, A5 or A6. Since these are available. But the Poles are insisting on getting A7V. Which also don't exist yet. At least not in the required numbers. The fight is about a formulation. The Germans promised modern weapons if the Poles deliver Soviet era equipment to the Ukraine. Now the Poles want the most advanced possible. Which not only is impossible because these are not available and the Poles new that it is also not what its about. Its not abou the Poles delivering legacy trash to UA and getting the most advanced equipment for free in return. The Leo2 A4 and A5 are an adequate replacement. But they want more.

Mr. T (MrT4)

1-Jun

Cost of the Russian artilery ammo

122-mm RS for BM-21
High-explosive fragmentation M 
- high-explosive with AR-6 M-21OF with AR-6
Incendiary MZ-21 
high-explosive fragmentation M-210F IN 

122-mm RS k 9P138
High-explosive fragmentation 9M28F 
High-explosive fragmentation with AR-6 9M28F S AR-6 
Incendiary 9M28S 
Agathition 9M28D High
-explosive fragmentation inert 9M28F 

122-mm RS to 9A51
High-explosive fragmentation of increased power 9M53F 
High-explosive fragmentation inert 9M53F IN 

300-mm RS to 9A52
High-explosive 9M55F with vzr. 9B191 
Fragmentation cassette 9M55K with vzr. 9B171 
Fragmentation cassette 9M55K with vzr. 
...[Message truncated]
View Full Message
DavidPawley

1-Jun

Csis is wrong. So are all the other lazy sources that call everything a ballistic missile without caring what words mean.

1. it doesn’t follow a ballistic path.
  2. the boost-sustain rocket burns for the entire flight.
  3. the sustain thrust is, I suspect, very small - just enough to count.

ATACMS is basically designed to not quite be restricted by treaty. It’s the Washington treaty battleship of battlefield missiles.