gatnerd

Military Guns and Ammunition

Hosted by gatnerd

This is intended for people interested in the subject of military guns and their ammunition, with emphasis on automatic weapons.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Ukraine weapons thread   General Military Discussion

Started 24/2/22 by gatnerd; 182898 views.
EmericD

7-Jul

I would rate the effectiveness of anti-ship missiles very close to the effectiveness of anti-tank missiles.

SAM shot against helicopters are sligthly less effective, but that's probably because even a low flying helicopter is still moving at more than 150 km/h, something no tanks and no boats could do.

SAM shot against planes are even less effective, but again the velocity of the target is not the same...

Farmplinker

7-Jul

Several guys on a naval forum have told me that a Phalanx system will shoot down a supersonic missile no problem. IF they are aware a missile is inbound and all necessary gear is turned on.

Mr. T (MrT4)

7-Jul

From what i could decypher on Russian naval forums Moskva was more or less naked against supersonic sea skimming AShM , only thing that could take the AShM out were its guns AK630, S300 System used on Moskva has 20-30m ceiling but more importantly, the hit probability drops dramatically against low-level targets to something under 10% range ,while useful against aircraft at long ranges and heights an absolute dud against sea skiming  AShM. And even AK-630 in the configuration used on slava class is quite limited, by fire-control that was designed to target planes and helicopters a AShM is exposed to them for less than 10 seconds so unless they are all ready and waitiing  there is little chance of interception.Moskva was never upgraded only repaired and coms modernised rest of it was as it was the day it was launched. Not far from tech used in the Falklands.

'' single MR-123 radar system can simultaneously control two guns, either two 30 mm gun mounts, or two 57 mm gun mounts, or one 30 mm gun and one 57 mm gun. The radar system can engage aerial and surface targets at 4 and 5 kilometres (2.5 and 3.1 mi) respectively. The electro-optical system can detect a MiG-21–sized aerial target 7 kilometres (4.3 mi) away, ''

Mr. T (MrT4)

7-Jul

It seems like lots of duct tape holding together the Bayraktar drone in Moscows Patriot Park stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye

Mr. T (MrT4)

8-Jul

Colonel Markus Reisner gives an update on the situation in Eastern Ukraine.

War in Ukraine: Luhansk has fallen - what's to expect?

Colonel Markus Reisner gives an update on the situation in Eastern Ukraine. And he describes what might come next.

gatnerd

9-Jul

HIMARS are finally showing up in Ukraine:

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/four-more-himars-launchers-heading-to-ukraine-bringing-total-to-12

Ukrainian forces fire rockets with US-supplied HIMARS launchers

On Monday the Ukrainian ministry of defence released footage of a rocket launcher firing from the middle of a highway somewhere in Zaporizhia region, the roc...

Ukraine supplementing their Buggy Busters with motorcycle sidecars. My neighbor used to have a WW2 german sidecar bike that he'd ride around town, so this is definitely pretty cool for me.

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/ukrainian-missile-teams-are-using-old-school-motorcycles-with-sidecars

Mr. T (MrT4)

9-Jul

A friend of mine took a train trip to Kiev to buy a Dnjeper sidecar in late 90's and drive it all the way back to Slovenija, at that time they were still making these sidecars and they were cheap he paid something like 900$ for a 96' model 

KMZ factory in Kiev was only demolished in 2019 but i think the manufacturing stopped long before . While it ran ok in Ukraine with their 78 octane fuel at the time here on 98 octane it needed bit of work to keep it running.