gatnerd

Military Guns and Ammunition

Hosted by gatnerd

This is intended for people interested in the subject of military guns and their ammunition, with emphasis on automatic weapons.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

MGs   Small Arms <20mm

Started 9-May by graylion; 9646 views.
gatnerd

17-May

schnuersi said:

The Gepard SPAA, a rather old system, freqently manages to score direct hits on target drones at ranges behond 2000 m.

Do you happen to know the size of the target drones? 

Many of the 'target drones' are fairly sizeable, much larger then what we'd see in the sUAS class like Switchblade:

The accuracy quoted on the Puma is very impressive; from the specs it really seems like a great IFV overall. 

schnuersi

17-May

gatnerd said:

Do you happen to know the size of the target drones?

I don't know the exact size but they are pretty small.

gatnerd said:

The accuracy quoted on the Puma is very impressive;

Yes, its so accurate that there are concerns that its actually too accurate.

gatnerd said:

from the specs it really seems like a great IFV overall.

This remains to be seen. Its a very complicated machine with several components pushed to the limit of what is currently possible. Which means its a rather tempramental system.

graylion

17-May

schnuersi said:

Yes, its so accurate that there are concerns that its actually too accurate.

Is there such a thing? If one worries about lack of dispersion, that strikes me as a software problem. 

As regards Gepard, do we know anything non-cleassified about the delivery schedule? I assume Ukrainians are currently being trained? And the tanks being refurbished.

schnuersi

17-May

graylion said:

Is there such a thing?

Yes if you want to achieve good effect against area targets. Multiple rounds onto the same spot will be overkill in this spot and nothing all around.

graylion said:

If one worries about lack of dispersion, that strikes me as a software problem.

The most likely solution will be a software modification.

graylion said:

As regards Gepard, do we know anything non-cleassified about the delivery schedule? I assume Ukrainians are currently being trained? And the tanks being refurbished.

No

gatnerd

17-May

Multiple rounds in the same spot seems like it would be very useful against vehicles though.

Weve seen UA hose down and disable a few different RU vehicles with bursts of 30mm cannon fire.

If the Puma could place multiple 30mm APFSds on top of each other/ in close proximity, in theory it would be able to chew through armor rated to stop a single 30mm. Especially if ROF is fairly high.

graylion

17-May

I concur. If you _can_ be that precise and modify dispersion that strikes me as way better than having to rely on natural dispersion. It gives you more control.

schnuersi

18-May

gatnerd said:

Multiple rounds in the same spot seems like it would be very useful against vehicles though.

Yes certainly. AFVs, field fortifications etc.

Its not that the high accuracy is concidered to be a general problem. Its just with the combination of the AHEAD ammo against area targets. This was not forseen during development and now it needs to be fixed or better modified.

gatnerd

18-May

schnuersi said:

Its just with the combination of the AHEAD ammo against area targets. This was not forseen during development and now it needs to be fixed or better modified

Maybe like an 'area mode' that computes the dispersion of the AHEAD pellets, then jiggles the barrel a little between shots to create the optimal beaten zone of pellets? 

schnuersi

18-May

gatnerd said:

Maybe like an 'area mode' that computes the dispersion of the AHEAD pellets, then jiggles the barrel a little between shots to create the optimal beaten zone of pellets?

Something like this is the obvious solution. What they do is not open to the public.

graylion

18-May

Just occurred to me: where is AHEAD ammo being manufactured? Switzerland?