gatnerd

Military Guns and Ammunition

Hosted by gatnerd

This is intended for people interested in the subject of military guns and their ammunition, with emphasis on automatic weapons.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Future Infantry Heavy Weapons   Army Guns 20+mm

Started 29-Sep by stancrist; 6003 views.
stancrist

2-Oct

gatnerd said:

An interesting chicken egg question is whether this was due to the lack of a PDW for them to carry. 

Couldn't / didnt want to also carry a M4, and they either lacked a pistol or figured it was effectively useless at afghan ranges and didnt bother carrying one. 

Had an actual MP9/MP7 type PDW been available, I wonder if they would have chosen to carry it?

I don't personally know any of the guys who used the XM25 in Afghanistan, so I could only guess if any of them would have chosen to carry such a PDW.

Considering combat distances in AFG, do you think that either the MP9 or the MP7 provide enough effective range to warrant carrying the extra weight?

• Edited 02 October 2022 22:07  by  stancrist
In reply toRe: msg 21
gatnerd

5-Oct

Perhaps an option for the super grenadier:

https://soldiersystems.net/2022/10/05/land-forces-22-squad-support-weapon-40/

SSW40:

Hint of brochure looks like a concept for a XM25 style smart optic integration, which is obviously the ideal:

stancrist

5-Oct

gatnerd said:

Hint of brochure looks like a concept for a XM25 style smart optic integration, which is obviously the ideal:

Looks like an artist's rendering of the FCS-MR800 (first photo below, center) mounted on an earlier iteration of the SSW (second photo below).

More recent photos show what looks like the FCS-TRB (first photo below, right) mounted on the latest iteration of the SSW (third photo below).

• Edited 05 October 2022 19:40  by  stancrist
EmericD

5-Oct

Someone should ask Rheinmetall to design a 60 rds magazine for the XM5...

mpopenker

5-Oct

EmericD said:

Someone should ask Rheinmetall to design a 60 rds magazine for the XM5...

stancrist

5-Oct

LOL.  Imagine what that would look like.

EmericD

5-Oct

stancrist said:

LOL.  Imagine what that would look like.

Yep, but still shorter than the 10+shots monstrosity of the SSW40, which only needs a 2 wheels carriage to looks like a field gun...

stancrist

5-Oct

I think you're exaggerating.  Doesn't look that bad to me. 

Should be easy to carry one in the gun and a few spares.  laughing

In reply toRe: msg 28
gatnerd

5-Oct

The 10rd mag is bizarre; I dont get why they are showing it with that vs a 5-6rd box mag thats at least in the realm of reasonable as far as size and weight goes.

• Edited 05 October 2022 22:22  by  gatnerd
stancrist

6-Oct

gatnerd said:

The 10rd mag is bizarre; I dont get why they are showing it with that vs a 5-6rd box mag thats at least in the realm of reasonable as far as size and weight goes.

???  The vast majority of the photos do show a 6-rd mag.  Only a few of the photos show the 10-rd mag.

6-rd mag

10-rd mag