gatnerd

Military Guns and Ammunition

Hosted by gatnerd

This is intended for people interested in the subject of military guns and their ammunition, with emphasis on automatic weapons.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Future Infantry Heavy Weapons   Army Guns 20+mm

Started 29-Sep by stancrist; 5992 views.
Refleks

9-Oct

"do you think it is practical to carry 4 x 6-rd SSW40 mags in this manner?"

Nope, looks cumbersome AF which is why I'd prefer MGL (despite reload speed) and two 12 round bandoliers (one across plate carrier, one on waist) as in previous pictures. At least then some of the weight is on the hips, better distributed and  you might be able to get into some semblance of prone.

If they insist on magazine fed, I wonder if the intent is just to carry one (or perhaps two) spare magazines instead, and just reload the magazine out of individual pouches otherwise.  Then you could reload more quickly than an MGL in a pinch by swapping magazines, but when you burn through those then at least it shouldn't be any slower to reload the magazine out of individual pouches than to reload an MGL.

This way you'd have two SSW magazines on the plate carrier as far off to the sides towards your armpits as they'll go, and a bandolier of 12 around your waist (as in previous pictures). Even if you had three single AR mags between the SSW magazines you should be able to get lower in prone .

• Edited 09 October 2022 11:24  by  Refleks
stancrist

9-Oct

Refleks said:

"do you think it is practical to carry 4 x 6-rd SSW40 mags in this manner?"

Nope, looks cumbersome AF which is why I'd prefer MGL (despite reload speed) and two 12 round bandoliers (one across plate carrier, one on waist) as in previous pictures.

Ah.  When you used "MGL" in your earlier post, I thought you meant "multi-shot grenade launcher" in a generic sense, to include weapons like the SSW40 and the proposed PGS.  I see now that you were referring to the Milkor MGL specifically.

Refleks said:

If they insist on magazine fed, I wonder if the intent is just to carry one (or perhaps two) spare magazines instead, and just reload the magazine out of individual pouches otherwise. 

Depends upon which "they" you mean:  Rheinmetall?  Or the US Army?

I've seen nothing from Rheinmetall on their intent for SSW40 reloading.

The Army?  I think they would want more than one or two spare mags.

• Edited 09 October 2022 12:31  by  stancrist
In reply toRe: msg 14
stancrist

10-Oct

stancrist said:

gatnerd said: But the Individual Assault Munition is also very interesting. I'm curious whether this will be LAW M72 size, or AT4 sized, and whether it will be optically equipped or just those flip up irons. 

The IAM is meant to replace both the BDM and the AT4 CS, so I'd think it will need to have comparable destructive power.  That likely means IAM will be of at least AT4 size and weight.  Since it's disposable, I expect sights will also be "flip up irons."

Looks like I was right about the size, and wrong about the sights.

Never mind.  It's just GD "pitching" the RGW as an IAM candidate.

Individual Assault Munition (IAM)

Individual Assault Munition (IAM): the warfighter's munition of choice when it comes to lightweight, shoulder-launched firepower. Surgically precise and intu...

• Edited 10 October 2022 20:39  by  stancrist
schnuersi

10-Oct

stancrist said:

Looks like I was right about the size, and wrong about the sights.

That is MATADOR. Also called RGW90.
Or something very, very similar.

gatnerd

11-Oct

RGW90 would be nice. We've seen a few clips of it used in Ukraine to good effect.

The Ukraine thread is so long I've loathe to look for it now, but I recall one being used in Azovstal to good effect. Dude pops out of a doorway, lines up and pops an armored vehicle in a matter of seconds with one.

The downside to the system is the weight; at 19.5lbs its not much lighter then the M4 CG or the Spike-SR.

RGW90: 19.6lbs

M4 CG loaded shell + Aimpoint FCU = 24.91lbs (or 18lbs unloaded)

Spike-SR: 22lbs 

stancrist

11-Oct

gatnerd said:

RGW90 would be nice. I recall one being used in Azovstal to good effect. Dude pops out of a doorway, lines up and pops an armored vehicle in a matter of seconds with one.

Yes!  https://youtu.be/X0q7UMtqsH4?t=5

• Edited 11 October 2022 12:40  by  stancrist
graylion

11-Oct

hmm, what about MATADORito, aka RGW60?

stancrist

11-Oct

I dunno.  RGW60 is heavier and longer than M72 LAW, and has a 60mm warhead versus 66mm.

Does RGW60 deliver the performance required to make it capable of being the US Army's IAM?

schnuersi

11-Oct

stancrist said:

RGW60 is heavier

That depends on the exact type. The RGW60 HEAT and HEAT-MP is as heavy as a modern M72 versions with HEAT/AT warheads which also have the FFE feature.
The RGW60 HESH and ASM are somewhat heavier.
Penetration performance and range also is about the same.

The RGW60 is intended to be lighter thus easier to carry than the RGW90 which is more powerfull and offers significantly more effective range. The LRMP version has an effective range over 1000 m. It also features an airburst mode.
If I had to guess this is what the US are going for. This offers anti structure capabilities as well as anti defilade capabilities. While it is not exactly light its light enough to be carried in addition to the standard armament and the reloads can be distributed. A unit equiped with it has significant reach and can counter a wide range of threats.