gatnerd

Military Guns and Ammunition

Hosted by gatnerd

This is intended for people interested in the subject of military guns and their ammunition, with emphasis on automatic weapons.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

grip comfort   General Military Discussion

Started 30-Oct by smg762; 536 views.
smg762

30-Oct

looking at larger pistol rounds like 7.5FK,  are there any ways to make these comfortable for smaller shooters. 

for example a heavily angled grip to reduce the percieved length, or a cutaway in the grip so your fingers can wrap round the mag instead of the grip.

with older SMG like uzi, was the grip pretty large, like a 7.5KF?    has anyone handled double stack 45's or similar large rounds, what are your thoughts

In reply toRe: msg 1
graylion

30-Oct

very relevant question of one considers it as a service catridge

stancrist

30-Oct

smg762 said:

looking at larger pistol rounds like 7.5FK,  are there any ways to make these comfortable for smaller shooters.  for example a heavily angled grip to reduce the percieved length...

That may be possible.  Awhile back there was a thread wherein a .300 BLK PDW with such a grip was discussed.  I don't know how well it would work with 7.5 FK.

smg762 said:

has anyone handled double stack 45's or similar large rounds, what are your thoughts

I found the grip of a double-stack .45 was too large for my hand.  The 9mm Hi-Power grip was about the ideal size and fit.

renatohm

30-Oct

stancrist said:

I found the grip of a double-stack .45 was too large for my hand.  The 9mm Hi-Power grip was about the ideal size and fit.

That's only one of the reasons why 9mm is just about perfect for pistol use - its balance between size, punch, weight, reliability (nice taper)... is simply very hard to beat.

If I were to change it for something else it would be something with similar diameter and COAL, and if possible just as easy to control.

gatnerd

30-Oct

smg762 said:

looking at larger pistol rounds like 7.5FK,  are there any ways to make these comfortable for smaller shooters.

There are a number of ways.

-Metal vs Polymer mags. Metal mags are slimmer then polymer mags, allowing for a thiner grip.

-Grip contouring. Using shaping and grooves / textures in the grip can make it more comfortable vs a 'slab' grip. The Walther PPQ .45 for example is more comfortable to hold then the single stack 1911. 

-Grip reduction. Just minimizing all grip volume outside the mag. Lone Wolf did this with their Glock .45 frame, and the result is their frame feels slimmer in hand then a factory Glock 9mm frame.

smg762

9-Nov

could you applie the CRYE PDW style grip but on a smaller scale, ie. with a  45mm cartridge, in a luger style grip. would that actually reduce the percieved length of the ammo