gatnerd

Military Guns and Ammunition

Hosted by gatnerd

This is intended for people interested in the subject of military guns and their ammunition, with emphasis on automatic weapons.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

High Performance 9mm experiments    Ammunition <20mm

Started 8-Nov by gatnerd; 831 views.
gatnerd

8-Nov

Came across an impressive reloading project on Arfcom, which shows what a high performance 9mm PDW round might be capable of.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/armory/The-quest-for-600-ft-lbs-9mm/42-547833/

Projectiles are 68gr copper solids, which is roughly analogous to what we might expect the weight to be for potential light AP / lead fee PDW projectiles. 

https://www.ar15.com/forums/armory/The-quest-for-600-ft-lbs-9mm/42-547833/

68gr projectile + 10.5gr powder + Shell Shock cases = 2016fps from a 4.61" barrel

Recoil is described as quite controllable, as the combination of light bullet + lots of powder worls very well with a pistol compensator. 

stancrist

8-Nov

gatnerd said:

Projectiles are 68gr copper solids, which is roughly analogous to what we might expect the weight to be for potential light AP / lead fee PDW projectiles

I think 68 gr is probably quite a bit lighter than a "light AP/lead free" 9mm PDW bullet.

Federal's 9mm EBR round had a steel penetrator/lead base bullet that weighed 103 gr.

FWIW, MagSafe was getting 2000+ fps with ultralightweight (50-60gr) bullet loads three decades ago.

farmplinker2

8-Nov

These out of a 10.5" .350 Legend.

mpopenker

8-Nov

So these guys basically cosplaying a Russian 7N31 load (4.2 gram AP bullet at 560-590 m/s)

http://roe.ru/eng/catalog/special-weapons-and-ammunitions/submachine-guns/7n31/

Really impressive at short range, but looses energy with range rather fast

EmericD

8-Nov

gatnerd said:

Came across an impressive reloading project on Arfcom, which shows what a high performance 9mm PDW round might be capable of.

You can launch a 90 grs bullet at ~600 m/s (for more than 1000 J of muzzle energy) with a 9x19 mm without exceeding normal pressure, in a PCC. 

The old SFM THV was already driving a 2.8 g bullet above 2000 fps from service pistol, and above 2400 fps from a PDW. Velocity retention was not really a concern and those ammo would not be a good choice for military application.

The same guy who developped the THV rounds also developped a true AP round (the ALIA) with a steel core and an aluminium jacket.

graylion

8-Nov

mpopenker said:

Really impressive at short range, but looses energy with range rather fast

Yeah. We are shooting for a 100m engagement range with PDW, and I have my doubts in that regard. I think you'll need smaller calibre and better shaped bullets for that. 

smg762

9-Nov

emeric i had a quwestion. If you wanted to make a PDW round thats interchangeable with 9mm, and can share the same clips, could you make the round wider than 9mm, but the same OAL. for example a 30mm OAL and a case width of about 11mm.

would this round feed well from glock mags or is it a bad idea to attempt 9mm interchangability.

also would it be better to make a round thats changable with 45ACP.   basically a 45. dimension cartridge but necked down to 6mm or smaller. would that be more practical in terms of sharing magazines

smg762

9-Nov

assuming a  90 grain bullet that was all-steel,, could the steel core weight 90 grains or is steel a bit too light for that

smg762

9-Nov

how does the 7n penetration compare to modern 4.6 or 5.7 loads, 

smg762

19-Dec

If you had a improved 7n, basically a  spritzer 9mm with 650 ft lbs and all steel bullet, would it match the penetration of the 4.6?