autogun

Military Guns and Ammunition

Hosted by autogun

This is intended for people interested in the subject of military guns and their ammunition, with emphasis on automatic weapons, particularly in larger calibres (12.7+mm).

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Exploring The Design Space   Ammunition <20mm

Started 25/7/15 by NathanielF; 91733 views.
QuintusO

8-Jun

If you're not shooting, your uptime is always 100%.

QuintusO

8-Jun

I haven't heard of the USMC fielding anything but 30s.

Jeff (Jefffar)

8-Jun

They don't, but I was also trying to include forces that use 40 round mags in RPKs or 42 round mags in AUGs. 

EmericD

10-Jun

QuintusO said...

It is true that the uptime difference between 20 and 30 round capacities is not that high, but I'd still rather have 30 than 20, as long as it was reasonably feasible. The point difference between 20 and 30 is the same as 30 and 50, just to give you an idea. Can you roll with 20s? Yes, many have. Is it better to have 30s? I think so, if not for pure uptime reasons. 

Did you compared the downtime (or the uptime in your case) of weapon systems using 30 rds mags and 8 sec reload time versus the downtime of weapon systems using 100 rds belts and 40 sec reload time?

DavidPawley

10-Jun

40 sec seems pretty optimistic, based on videos of machinegunners reloading minimis.

QuintusO

10-Jun

Yes, but not in that graph. Obviously, the 40 second reload time makes things that much more grim.

QuintusO

10-Jun

I chose it specifically to be optimistic.

EmericD

10-Jun

DavidPawley said...

40 sec seems pretty optimistic, based on videos of machinegunners reloading minimis.

It's the best reload time I have seen (~41 seconds), definitively not a "mean" value or a "worst case", but even with a 40 seconds downtime every 100 rds you're still behind a 8 seconds downtime every 30 rds.

QuintusO

10-Jun

Since the 6mm ARC came out, I've been retreading your 6mm Optimum a bit. Did you ever create a dimensional specification for it? Was the round you had created a dummy or did it get further than that?

Thanks!